Author Topic: Rejoice Nikon D700, Nikon Df, Nikon D2h, Nikon D3 / D3s and Nikon D4 / D4s  (Read 1647 times)

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I will never sell my D3s and D4s as not Sony sensors soiled.

The D700 and Df owners should rejoice as well.

No wonder these cameras are the best of what Nikon produced.

Read it here:
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/these-32-nikon-cameras-are-sonys-in-disguise

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Funny but it doesnt mention the Z6, probably S. as well, like the D600/610 ;)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Interesting that the two I've owned so far, a D3200 and a D7100, are also not on the Sony list.  I always thought the D3200, despite being pretty noisy on high ISO, punched well above its weight, and so far at least I figure to keep the D7100 flying until it breaks.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska

They list D5 as using a Sony sensor, however according to TechInsight it is manufactured by Toshiba:
https://www.techinsights.com/products/def-1605-801
Of course the Toshiba plant is now owned by Sony, so it is not completely incorrect.
Øivind Tøien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Do the Sony sensors in the Nikon cameras actually have the same part numbers as do their Sony counterparts?

My understanding has been that Sony fabricate sensors and other chips to their customers specifications and designs - just as Aptina did for the D700 and D3 sensors and as did Toshiba prior to their takeover by Sony.
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
This is a bit like saying a Nikon F3 is a Kodak or an Agfa or a Fuji based on the film that is loaded.

The body, controls, processors and lenses make up a big part of the camera system.

I'd not be surprised if some of the fabrication tools used in Sony semiconductor plants are made by Nikon.

While I've been mostly a Nikon user since I bought my first camera in 1981, I find that Brandism is one of the most annoying and divisive things about the camera world. The fanboi/troll underbelly is such a waste of time and emotion.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
While I've been mostly a Nikon user since I bought my first camera in 1981, I find that Brandism is one of the most annoying and divisive things about the camera world. The fanboi/troll underbelly is such a waste of time and emotion.

For some changing is out of the question due to the sharp loss of sell out one system to buy into another. There is also a large investment in not just the knowledge of a system, its menu and settings but there is an investment in reflexes. If you have to think about everything you do with a camera you are dead in the water. The camera needs to be an extension of the eyes and hands.

I've been with Nikon since 1971. I sold out once when Pentax started advertising super multi-coated lenses. I though what a bunch of BS. I went to a local camera store where I had an open account. I took a camera outside and in five minutes I was convinced. The next day I sold my complete Nikon system and bought a Hasselblad 500CM and 80/2.8 Planar soon after.

Hasselblad? Not Pentax? Nikon and Canon had already started selling multi-coated lenses but due to stock they needed to sell did not advertise multi-coat lenses for at least months. Hasselblad was already selling their T* multi-coated lenses and in those days with the limits of film it was common for serious  and professionals photographers to own both 35mm and 6x6 systems.

When I sold out of Nikon I worked at a print shop. Most of the guys there were into photography and shot Nikon. I sold out in just one day. I sold a pair of Nikon F2(s) and maybe six or seven Nikkor lenses from 20mm to 300mm. I had a plan and the plan was to buy back into Nikon when Nikon offered a full line of multi-coated lenses. This worked well for me as I bought back into Nikon a year or two later not only with multi-coated lenses but also with all AI (auto indexing) cameras and lenses.

Today if I wanted to switch to perhaps Sony or even to Nikon mirrorless I'd take a bath. I have nowhere to sell except to online sellers like KEH and a couple of NY online stores. I don't have any local camera stores who might offer me forty cents on the dollar in trade. Fortunately I have no desire to switch brands. I do have one camera body and lens I want to sell.

Selling out of one brand and system to another has been a necessity for some photographers like professional sports photographers switching from Nikon to Canon in the Canon Envy years. For serious amateurs with lots of expendable cash it's a luxury to switch. My days shooting PR professionally were over by early 1990. Selling out of Nikon is for me out of the question.

Dave, who aspires to be a has been.

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
This is a bit like saying a Nikon F3 is a Kodak or an Agfa or a Fuji based on the film that is loaded.

My Nikon F2(s), FE2(s) and F4s were Kodaks as I shot Tri-X, Kodachrome and on odd occasions Kodacolor 100. I don't know what my F5 was as I shot Tri-X, Kodachrome and Provia 100F. Was my F5 a Kodak some days and a Fuji on others?  :D

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Exactly! 

Nikon were the leading supplier of stepper systems for the fabrication of VLSI IC's for many years, so it would not be too surprising to me if there is not Nikon equipment being used by Sony in their manufacturing facilities.  Perhaps more importantly for Nikon and its users is that if Nikon can build the tools to make ICs and can make there own chips, then surely they can design and/or specify what they require from the fabricators.

Yes, brandism is a big waste of time.  I cannot tell what brand of camera was used when I look at photos.  The old gag about the best camera being the one you have with you has more than a grain of salt for me;  others mileage may differ and yes sometimes special situations do require special tools -  that is accepted by me.

The body, controls, processors and lenses make up a big part of the camera system.

I'd not be surprised if some of the fabrication tools used in Sony semiconductor plants are made by Nikon.

Hugh Gunn