Author Topic: FJW Industries 90mm f1.0  (Read 1285 times)

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
FJW Industries 90mm f1.0
« on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:58 »
Here's an interesting beastie. This is exactly the same lens as the Varo Optical 90mm f1.0, which is probably meant for X ray work. What is unusual is that it has a flange distance of about 21mm, making it usable at infinity on a mirrorless camera. And unlike most X ray lenses, it does not have intolerable undercorrection of spherical aberration, making every image look like it was shot through heavy fog. It also has a fairly large image circle (~50mm I think), so while the corners on FF are not great, they are also not like a Petzval. And vignetting is also pretty decent for a lens of this speed.

There is some blooming around details, so not great microcontrast, but reasonably sharp, even off center. General contrast is quite good, as is work against the light. Using a deconvolution plugin like Piccure Plus or Sharpen AI can clean things up quite a bit. These are processed to get the best out of them that I can get, but they do not differ much in look from the look of the original, except to add microcontrast to details.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: FJW Industries 90mm f1.0
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 13:14:52 »
These samples do look good at first sight However, the jpgs are so highly compressed (and likely, processed), it is not easy to ascertain image quality in the traditional sense.

I assume the lens is fix-focus fix-aperture by design and thus needs to be mounting in a focusing helicoid?

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 15:49:59 »
I do appreciate the out of focus aberrations from such lenses.
Must be loads of fun to shoot and see the crazy results later on the large screen :-)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:27:58 »
Here is an unprocessed image and a crop to show detail, followed by the same crop processed with deconvolution plugins. Shot on a Sony 62mp sensor. Obviously not great resolution, and there is considerable smear at transitions, but still quite usable for certain images and especially when processed. Obviously the processing is not without its costs in terms of artifacts, but it can improve the "look" of the image quite a bit.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 01:14:06 »
At Softpida I read regarding DecoTryout.zip...

"Limitations in the unregistered version

Can only work in previews of 8bit images smaller that 250x250 pixels if you haven't donated."

...after several minutes of searching I'm clear as mud on finding a page that says here is how you donate or purchase a full function registered plugin or set of plugins.

Can you help by supplying a link? That would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:49 »
At Softpida I read regarding DecoTryout.zip...

"Limitations in the unregistered version

Can only work in previews of 8bit images smaller that 250x250 pixels if you haven't donated."

...after several minutes of searching I'm clear as mud on finding a page that says here is how you donate or purchase a full function registered plugin or set of plugins.

Can you help by supplying a link? That would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dave

Hi Dave,
TBH, I had never heard of this plugin. I did manage to find this page, which includes a donation button. I have donated 10 euros and waiting to hear back. I'll let you know if it works...

https://4n6site.com/improc/decoplugin/getit.htm

However this is not what I meant. My plugin of choice for deconvolution is called Piccure Plus, which I find very valuable for processing images from old lenses. It is much more powerful than Topaz Sharpen AI (which I also use) which I believe also uses a deconvolution algorithm. Unfortunately Piccure Plus is not presently being sold. I am not a proponent of software piracy, and in fact I am a registered user of Piccure Plus, but since I lost my key and the author won't reply (I think he has totally shut down shop) I feel justified in using a cracked version that I found. If you are interested in a link to the cracked version (for Windows, I think, I don't think it will work on Mac) I can give you a download link and install instructions. Please PM me or send a mail to toby {at sign} toby-marshall {period} com