Author Topic: Looking for a pair of monitors on a budget  (Read 1697 times)

the solitaire

• NG Member
Looking for a pair of monitors on a budget
« on: January 25, 2021, 00:33:56 »
As the title states, our biggest problem (me and Kristina both lack somewhat in the hardware department here) at the moment is owning good monitors to do our digital processing on.

We photograph mainly as a hobby and for our own needs, but we both see the creative process and the accurate representation of the images made fairly critical. Kristina is a sheer perfectionist, and we both have vision accurate enough to discern some serious problems with the hardware we currently use.

We bought a Spyder X for calibration of the monitors we use, but those monitors are a wild bunch to say the least.

We use 2 BenQ office monitors, each a notebook display, and Kristina uses a Wacom Cintiq 16.
Rather then helping, the Spyder X showed the real cause of our problems. The monitors we use show a wide variety of color accuracy, ranging from 60% Adobe RGB (the Acer laptop screen) through to around 85% Adobe RGB (The Wacom tablet)

Another problem is that, after calibration, white balance and color temperature on the 3 connected screens looks very different from monitor to monitor.

Even though our budget is small, I hope to get some advise on a set of monitors (around $300 each, with a small margin up) that could get us in the 90%+ Adobe RGB range. Monitors should be small, to ensure a small footprint (no bigger then 24") to save valuable desk space (try to fit 3 screens and 2 laptops, and a pair of cameras on a desk to get a visual of how our desk space looks when processing. 27" really isn't an option)
Buddy

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Looking for a pair of monitors on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 19:22:33 »
Hi Buddy, i can't advise for 2 monitors. But i have one Eizo 24" (CG241W) that i'm no longer using. If you wish, we could arrange for a friendly deal i guess. Just let me know. The monitor is approx. 10 yrs old.
Hans Cremers

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 19:55:37 »
I have only one 27" NEC monitor, but based on that experience I suggest you consider one from this group of 24" NEC monitors https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=NEC%20Display&sort=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&filters=fct_screen-size_953%3A24in
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 19:51:08 »
Hi Buddy, i can't advise for 2 monitors. But i have one Eizo 24" (CG241W) that i'm no longer using. If you wish, we could arrange for a friendly deal i guess. Just let me know. The monitor is approx. 10 yrs old.

That would help me already. That way I'd only need to look for one new monitor.
Buddy

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:10 »
That would help me already. That way I'd only need to look for one new monitor.

Hi Buddy, perhaps you can PM me, as not to do this in public (and we could do it in Dutch).
Hans Cremers