Author Topic: D5 - long term experience?  (Read 3844 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D5 - long term experience?
« on: January 18, 2021, 22:31:15 »
For those of you that have used the D5 for "a longer" time, what experiences regarding exposure, AF, or others, do you think is worth mentioning?

Right after a release there's often many opinions regarding "this and that", also by people who have not tried the product  :). So for you that have used the camera over a longer period, what do you say?

Thanks!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: D5 - long term experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:13:58 »
Had two D5; first on March 30, 2016 and the last sold mid-December 2020. One body has been replaced by a D6 in June last year. What to say ? Excellent body, but the D6 does everything better.

NB: your question is so broad that I’m afraid you will have very few replies. Be more specific.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:57:44 »
Had two D5; first on March 30, 2016 and the last sold mid-December 2020. One body has been replaced by a D6 in June last year. What to say ? Excellent body, but the D6 does everything better.

NB: your question is so broad that I’m afraid you will have very few replies. Be more specific.

Thank you  :).

Regarding exposure, I’m thinking about the dynamic range at low iso and how to deal with it - any adjustment in camera? Or is it not a «problem»?

Regarding AF; any mode you prefer for different type of scenarios? What settings (focus lock- on)? Or does the renommended settings from Nikon (pro pdf) do the trick?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:43 »
Re dynamic range (DR) I had never a problem, and I’m very often photographing dynamic situations. I know this has been mentioned i.e. even a lower DR than the D4s. For your info, I have also a D850, a good benchmark.

For the second question, this largely depends what you are photographing. I’m a sport photographer very active in car racing. Grouped AF is my most used one. But I know a person, very proficient in bird photography, using Auto mode as his favorite.

Sample:

_D566202.jpg
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:04:27 »
Re dynamic range (DR) I had never a problem, and I’m very often photographing dynamic situations. I know this has been mentioned i.e. even a lower DR than the D4s. For your info, I have also a D850, a good benchmark.

For the second question, this largely depends what you are photographing. I’m a sport photographer very active in car racing. Grouped AF is my most used one. But I know a person, very proficient in bird photography, using Auto mode as his favorite.

Sample:

_D566202.jpg

Nice picture  :)!

I bought a D5 a while ago, but for different reasons I traded it in for a D850 after a short while.

D850 is a great camera (!), but now my use benefit from the D5 and it’s better AF (locks and tracks better in my opinion). Therefore my questions  :).

I’ve read that some have fine tuned the exposure modes (- 1/3) in order to cope with the reduced DR (tend to overexpose the highlights by default (?). I understand the D5 does not have invariant iso, so ETTR?

Re AF; BIF and football. Sudden and unpredictably  movements.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 12:22:44 »
Nice picture  :)!

I bought a D5 a while ago, but for different reasons I traded it in for a D850 after a short while.

D850 is a great camera (!), but now my use benefit from the D5 and it’s better AF (locks and tracks better in my opinion). Therefore my questions  :).

I’ve read that some have fine tuned the exposure modes (- 1/3) in order to cope with the reduced DR (tend to overexpose the highlights by default (?). I understand the D5 does not have invariant iso, so ETTR?

Re AF; BIF and football. Sudden and unpredictably  movements.

Thx ☺️.

When I bought the D850, it was initially meant to become a non-sport camera body. In the end, it proved to be a very capable sport camera, with the advantage to have a large pixel count, excellent for large view pictures. Though, it is not entirely a competitor in terms of AF or high ISO. Last year situation was that I was carrying three bodies: a D5 and a D850 as frontliners, and a third D5 body as backup.

With regard to ETTR matters, I have never been a big fan (maybe wrongfully) of this method and prefer to rely on the exposure data from the camera eventually corrected by ⅓ stop, plus or minus. Further I believe the D5 is largely ISO invariant.

To summarize: the eventual corrections / fine tuning of my photography is largely dictated by the (demanding) working environment; so that further fine tuning / considerations with regard to ETTR or ISO invariancy is not so relevant for me.

Your last question: you should select under a3 the two parameters which fit the best for the type of activity you are picturing. For my main activity, AF reaction is put on medium, while subject movement is on stable (exact terms might differ, as I’m translating back from my French manual).
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 17:37:59 »
While the D5 does not have very good dynamic range at low ISO, it does have excellent high ISO dynamic range. D850 low to medium ISO images are smoother and more editable, but I've always preferred the D5/6's high ISO tonal and color quality (and now D6's). In practice I have not felt the D5's low ISO DR to be an issue but I've always had other cameras to shoot scenes with high lighting contrast when image quality has been a higher priority than catching the shot.

With regards to AF, the D5 can achieve a higher percentage of focus keepers when photographing approaching subjects with fast primes such as 105/1.4 and 200/2 compared to D850. However, with the 70-200/2.8 FL, I've felt both cameras are excellent. I used the D5 when I really needed to catch the shot with no margin for error. The D6 makes catching the shot especially with human subjects really easy.

The D5 viewfinder is easier to use for action subjects as it is easier to see the frame edges and corners while shooting from slightly awkward angles than the D850 which is a bit tight for me and requires really optimal positioning of the eye behind the ocular to see into corners. During long shoots I find the D5 more comfortable. The D6 viewfinder also has this extra eye relief.

I nowadays use the D850 for landscape, close-ups and similar subjects that don't move and shoot the moving subjects in most cases with the D6, which has a delightful AF system and a lower-pitched sound so enjoy it more. And so many user-friendly features that make shooting easier and more refined (such as a glove mode for touch screen, custom group area with face priority and a high degree of customizability, and connectivity).

For large prints, the D850 delivers impeccably detailed images. As mentioned before, at medium-high to really high ISO, I prefer the outcome from the D5/6.

I have several build quality issues with the D850. My D850's multi-selector is not as tactile-responsive as those of the integrated vertical grip models and sometimes with gloves on, I struggle with it. The vertical grip-body joint is not as rigid as I'd like; this can be an issue for tripod-based macro work. The D5/6 don't have any such problems. Mounting the 90 degree viewfinder attachment to D5/6 is a breeze as one just slides it in (assuming you have an extra eyepiece attachment).

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 22:24:57 »
While the D5 does not have very good dynamic range at low ISO, it does have excellent high ISO dynamic range. D850 low to medium ISO images are smoother and more editable, but I've always preferred the D5/6's high ISO tonal and color quality (and now D6's). In practice I have not felt the D5's low ISO DR to be an issue but I've always had other cameras to shoot scenes with high lighting contrast when image quality has been a higher priority than catching the shot.

With regards to AF, the D5 can achieve a higher percentage of focus keepers when photographing approaching subjects with fast primes such as 105/1.4 and 200/2 compared to D850. However, with the 70-200/2.8 FL, I've felt both cameras are excellent. I used the D5 when I really needed to catch the shot with no margin for error. The D6 makes catching the shot especially with human subjects really easy.

The D5 viewfinder is easier to use for action subjects as it is easier to see the frame edges and corners while shooting from slightly awkward angles than the D850 which is a bit tight for me and requires really optimal positioning of the eye behind the ocular to see into corners. During long shoots I find the D5 more comfortable. The D6 viewfinder also has this extra eye relief.

I nowadays use the D850 for landscape, close-ups and similar subjects that don't move and shoot the moving subjects in most cases with the D6, which has a delightful AF system and a lower-pitched sound so enjoy it more. And so many user-friendly features that make shooting easier and more refined (such as a glove mode for touch screen, custom group area with face priority and a high degree of customizability, and connectivity).

For large prints, the D850 delivers impeccably detailed images. As mentioned before, at medium-high to really high ISO, I prefer the outcome from the D5/6.

I have several build quality issues with the D850. My D850's multi-selector is not as tactile-responsive as those of the integrated vertical grip models and sometimes with gloves on, I struggle with it. The vertical grip-body joint is not as rigid as I'd like; this can be an issue for tripod-based macro work. The D5/6 don't have any such problems. Mounting the 90 degree viewfinder attachment to D5/6 is a breeze as one just slides it in (assuming you have an extra eyepiece attachment).

Thank you  :).

reassuring reading, Ilkka!

Most often I’m using iso range 800- 12800 (BIF and football). Portraits is either done in existing light (avoid strong/contrasting light, or take advantage of shadow area) or with portable strobes.

The little experience so far tell me that D5 nail focus better when photographing in low light (less hunting). I often use the 35 and 85 at 1.4.

Never thought of the difference regarding the viewfinder before you mentioned it, but yes!

Yes, D850 can give really detailed prints when needed, but hopefully so can D5 (biggest I print is A2 - and I dont do landscapes).

Never had any issue with D850 and build quality, though it felt more like a «toy» compared to the D5.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 22:49:08 »
Thx ☺️.

When I bought the D850, it was initially meant to become a non-sport camera body. In the end, it proved to be a very capable sport camera, with the advantage to have a large pixel count, excellent for large view pictures. Though, it is not entirely a competitor in terms of AF or high ISO. Last year situation was that I was carrying three bodies: a D5 and a D850 as frontliners, and a third D5 body as backup.

With regard to ETTR matters, I have never been a big fan (maybe wrongfully) of this method and prefer to rely on the exposure data from the camera eventually corrected by ⅓ stop, plus or minus. Further I believe the D5 is largely ISO invariant.

To summarize: the eventual corrections / fine tuning of my photography is largely dictated by the (demanding) working environment; so that further fine tuning / considerations with regard to ETTR or ISO invariancy is not so relevant for me.

Your last question: you should select under a3 the two parameters which fit the best for the type of activity you are picturing. For my main activity, AF reaction is put on medium, while subject movement is on stable (exact terms might differ, as I’m translating back from my French manual).

Interesting regarding iso invariance. I’ve always used ETTR, but now I’m not sure if it is needed? Usually I ETTR and adjust the exposure in Capture NX-D - in order to capture as much details as possible. Usually I use manual mode (sometimes with auto iso). Thanks, this I have to look more into.

When it comes to AF settings, I have to experiment with the settings, especially BIF (Erratic or not).

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 23:14:49 »
I have had a D5 for the last 3 months and I still learning about the af modes, uses and shortcomings. Low iso dynamic range has been no problem and the light in my corner of the world is quite harsh...on the other hand, I intend to use it mostly for low light situations and fast -dancers- action The strong points are well known and all true. A joy to use.

Shiny skin, strong light and deep shadows. You can get more range but I like to reproduce the contrast I'm seeing with my eyes.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 01:55:38 »
I have had a D5 for the last 3 months and I still learning about the af modes, uses and shortcomings. Low iso dynamic range has been no problem and the light in my corner of the world is quite harsh...on the other hand, I intend to use it mostly for low light situations and fast -dancers- action The strong points are well known and all true. A joy to use.

Shiny skin, strong light and deep shadows. You can get more range but I like to reproduce the contrast I'm seeing with my eyes.

Thank you  :)!

It’s clear that in the right hands the low iso dynamic range is not an issue; both you and MFloyd prove that, nice picture!

Low light and fast dancers; in this part of the year I’m also often working in low light, but my «dancers» are golden eagles (or my kids  ;D:). I would be interested in what settings you experience works best.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 04:07:24 »
It’s clear that in the right hands the low iso dynamic range is not an issue; both you and MFloyd prove that, nice picture!

Low Dynamic Range is ralative...

Dynamic Range v. ISO: Nikon D1, D300s, D5, D850

The Nikon D5 looks good especially from ISO 640 and higher and it looks fine to me at ISO 400. The D850 looks good from ISO 64 to 6400.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 13:05:44 »

The Nikon D5 looks good especially from ISO 640 and higher and it looks fine to me at ISO 400. The D850 looks good from ISO 64 to 6400.

Also dynamic range is just one parameter, a full characterisation of the SNR vs. luminosity reveals more about the differences between sensors than just looking at DR.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 15:24:18 »

Thank you, David  :).

Yes, most likely nothing to worry about. It’s easy to be misled by all the opinions on the internet  :).

Nevertheless it’s always interesting to read about experiences here at Nikongear.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 15:28:29 »
Also dynamic range is just one parameter, a full characterisation of the SNR vs. luminosity reveals more about the differences between sensors than just looking at DR.

Yes, that’s why I’m so eager to hear about your experiences in «real life»  :D - long term.