Author Topic: Nikon telescope/Spective adapter for Nikkor lenses  (Read 1015 times)

Marc Schlueter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Blog
Nikon telescope/Spective adapter for Nikkor lenses
« on: December 16, 2020, 21:56:27 »
Hi guys, haven't bin here for a looong time and need some help.

I know Nikon made a AiS adapter (similar to a tele converter) that converts a Nikon Tele lens to a spectiv.
I also know it's in some old (pre 2000) Nikon prospects, buried in my basement, but I can't find them.

Do somebody can tell me the exact name of this converter?

best regards
Marc

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon telescope/Spective adapter for Nikkor lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 22:36:58 »
Nikon Lens Scope Converter - haven't seen those for some time. This makes any Nikkor into a monocular viewing device.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 22:52:44 »
Have one in my drawer.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 00:25:26 »
also have one and  rarely used it with the 500 mm F/4 D AF-S when i did not want to carry my Swarovski telescope at the same time and get some Scope capability. Less comfortable and more difficult with the eyepoint (iirc) and the angle of view. Unfortunately it does not workwith the modern G and E type teles although it would have been doable - so its not on board any more most of the time
Wolfgang Rehm

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 00:31:41 »
I have a cheaper "Spectralstar" version of this, which I got many years ago.  It does work, although the one I have has considerable inside dirt that isn't easy to get out and the contrast is pretty poor.   Considerable magnification, and I find it works better with a lens of under 300 mm.   It's handy though if you have some old lens that isn't much use for other things.  I keep mine usually on an ancient Soligor 75-260 zoom someone once gave me, which has some aberrations consequent on having been dropped.   

I put it on a 500/4 AIP, and it's nice and sharp and powerful, but so narrow it's very hard to aim.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 21:25:46 »
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 18:57:59 »
Thanks to all of you for starting & responding to this topic.

It was interesting to read customers reviews on the BHP website.
Short version  - many users liked it with the 200-500mm f5.6

Long version - here's an example
"I got this to use my 200-500mm f/5.6 lens as a small telescope. It works as a 10mm objective, so I get a 50x magnification (500mm/10mm) with the lens set to 500mm, which is not a lot of magnification for a telescope, but enough to see Jupiter's moons as well as Saturn's rings. The result image is very clear and bright (at least with my f/5.6 lens). I only wish this setup allowed me to swap objectives in order to get even higher magnification"