Author Topic: AirNEF for Windows, OS X and Linux (Only for the brave!)...  (Read 4497 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
AirNEF for Windows, OS X and Linux (Only for the brave!)...
« on: December 11, 2020, 22:16:09 »
Disclaimer: Only for the brave! is pure click bate.

In my quest to loose the Tennis Shoe Network method of transferring files from my D850 I'm experimenting with a utility called AirNEF. This utility essentially sets a Windows PC to emulate a smart device. AirNEF has two modes: Select In Camera and  Select On Compter. Once the details of establishing a WiFi connection are set and a connection achieved the Select On Computer option seems flawless. So far the Select In Camera option has not worked for me.

Here is a piece on AirNEF at Nikon Rumors...

This new Airnef utility can download files from a WiFi-equipped Nikon camera to a computer

Here is a video describing the program...

AirNef - Wireless image and movie downloads for Nikon cameras!

Here is the AirNEF download page...

Installation instructions and a user guide

The download page also offers...

Windows Installer
OS X application
Linux Binary
Python Source Code

...I have only experimented with the Windows utility.

Enjoy! 

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Re: AirNEF for Windows, OS X and Linux (Only for the brave!)...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 00:21:38 »
I'm surprised no one seems interested in AirNEF. I believe Canon users have a free utility for Wi-Fi file transfer to a PC or MAC and wonder why Nikon hasn't offered something similar. For now AirNEF is working for me.

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 01:06:17 »
I guess I have a faint memory of trying AirNEF with D750.  Somehow it didn't work well, and I uninstalled the app immediately.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 03:56:20 »
I notice that AirNEF is a vintage 2015 utility. It works for me. The 64GB Samsung Fit USB flash drive really helps.

As dogs don't know Beggin'® Brand Dog Treats aren't Bacon so Nikon Transfer 2 doesn't know the Samsung Fit isn't a camera memory card.  :D That helps make AirNE useful to me.

I use AirNEF to transfer files from my D850 to X:\DCIM\101ND850\ and Transfer 2 finds them there and downloads them to the folders and renamed as I outline in the Transfer 2 options.

The download speed is 12-13 seconds for Large, Fine JPG(s) and 21-23 second for Large, 14bit lossless NEF(s) so moving a large number of NEF files is a start and walk away operation. JPG(s) can be reviewed in the X:\DCIM\101ND850\ folder.

I wonder why Nikon doesn't offer a Wi-Fi utility to its users as Canon does for its?

Dave

Oops! I'm posting information about AirNEF in two threads. Here is my last post in the other thread...

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9754.msg165392#msg165392

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 10:54:33 »
20 seconds is probably a too long time to wait if you can get it done with a cable in 1 second? My interest in cable-free operation is for safety but I am not patient enough to wait 20 s for a file to be transferred and I would rather use the cable in that case or if wireless transfer is mandarory, opt for a smaller JPG to get it done faster.

Nikon do provide some options for faster wifi (D6 can use the WT-6 which provides faster, longer range wifi and for that they do provide software options (camera control pro 2, wireless transfer utility)). For the D850 you'd need to use WT-7 which is a big bulky thing (the D6 gets away with a small plug-on accessory because most of the electronics for networking is inside the camera body). Z7 and Z6 can use WTU but not camera control pro 2 (using built-in wifi, so you get transfer to but not control using a computer). WT-7 option is available for them as well, though I find it hard to believe many would buy it.

For the D850, probably those third-party software options are your best bet. If it works then all is well, no? A lot of people wouldn't voluntarily install Nikon software on their computers, anyway. ;) (I do use it.)

There is also a product called Camranger that you could look into.

I can see Nikon's point of view that for professional-level wifi they want to sell accessories and software while built-in wifi is with basic capabilities for social media etc. they provide built-in capabilities. But I too think they should step up and provide (1) better software support for built-in wifi and (2) faster and more reliable wifi capabilities built in.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 12:23:50 »
I'm not fond of any kind of cables hanging off a camera. I'm used a Phottix Strato II flash trigger as a remote release connected to the 10 pin terminal on my DSLR(s). I've piggy backed a second Strato II to trigger a Norman P2000X studio strobe system. That's OK and much better than a cabled MC-12A wired release and flash sync cable as there is nothing under foot to trip on or pull over a camera or lamp head with.

AirNEF solves a problem for me if few NEF need transfer. I'll have to rely on card readers for any volume of NEF(s).

It's 3:25 AM so I'll research this tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 20:23:45 »
CamRanger looks weird. It probably works great!

SnapBridge was rather slow at down loading NEF(s) and even somewhat slow at downloading full resolution, fine low compression JPG(s). I gather from this that the built in Wi-Fi of the D850 is fairly slow.

I watched a video from B&H Photo and the presenter said cable was the only acceptably fast way to tether. He noted that he hadn't used a memory card in his camera in x years. The video was a few years old. I'd hoped the D850 had newer Wi-Fi but the D850 is nearing its end of product life so it's a few years old although it is new to me.

Dave

Small, Fine (4128x2752 pixel) Jpeg files take about 2.3 seconds each to download using AirNEF. This is quite reasonable where one is shooting NEF + JPG (Fine, Small) as proofs or for upload to eBay or social media. With setting of Auto Picture Control and D-Live Low the JPEG image from the D850 are quite good.