Author Topic: Lille, daytime, 35/2.8 PC  (Read 1182 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Lille, daytime, 35/2.8 PC
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 20:45:01 »
The slight problem with that lens is, barrel distortion, while low, is sometimes visible due to the very nature of the shots: the more the photographer wants to get those verticals right, the more apparent their bending.
Here, the shots were processed with CNX-D, which does not allow manual correction of distortion.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 20:49:06 »
Of course, when the subjects are more "normal", distortion is less apparent. In both cases, the lens was used with zero shift. In the second case, I foolishly chose f/4, resulting in insufficient subject separation: I forgot that the resolution of that lens is already quite good at f/2.8 (some other forum member even wrote "best of Nikkor 35's", or did I read that in a review?).
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 21:15:58 »
Of course, when the subjects are more "normal", distortion is less apparent. In both cases, the lens was used with zero shift. In the second case, I foolishly chose f/4, resulting in insufficient subject separation: I forgot that the resolution of that lens is already quite good at f/2.8 (some other forum member even wrote "best of Nikkor 35's", or did I read that in a review?).
Maybe from David Ruether's and Grover Larkins' Subjective Lens Evaluations:
http://www.verwoerd.info/nikon/short.html -- 35mm f2.8 PC AIS latest "it has the best performance of all the Nikkor 35's at f2.8"

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 21:20:27 »
Yes, indeed ! that's where I read it.
Airy Magnien