Author Topic: How Kodak Aerochrome was developed  (Read 2519 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
How Kodak Aerochrome was developed
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:12:19 »
This is an intriguing story!

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4754146140/video-the-origin-story-of-kodak-aerochrome-film

I didn't know or realize that the cover photos on "Are You Experienced" and some other rock albums were shot with this very film!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: How Kodak Aerochrome was developed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:08:31 »
Thank you for the heads up! Infrared is a big part of the NikonGear community which makes this even more interesting to hear about! I recall a hole lot of great IR images posted here - Pink as well 8)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 15:39:29 »
Thank you for the heads up! Infrared is a big part of the NikonGear community which makes this even more interesting to hear about! I recall a hole lot of great IR images posted here - Pink as well 8)

Glad you enjoyed it, Erik!  Yes, that's exactly why I shared the article here!

I'm looking forward to the part 2 to be posted, although both technique of EIR emulations previewed in the last section of the part 1 are both familiar to some folks here.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 19:50:30 »
The story perpetuates the myth that "chlorophyll-rich foliage" caused the IR effect. Which is fake news if there ever was one. In fact, vegetation reflects IR because of its cellular structure. Anything behaving structurally similar would also reflect IR. A dead leaf with no chlorophyll thus reflects strongly in IR. A silt-laden river reflects strongly in IR. And so on.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 20:21:15 »
The story perpetuates the myth that "chlorophyll-rich foliage" caused the IR effect. Which is fake news if there ever was one. In fact, vegetation reflects IR because of its cellular structure. Anything behaving structurally similar would also reflect IR. A dead leaf with no chlorophyll thus reflects strongly in IR. A silt-laden river reflects strongly in IR. And so on.

I just passed though that phrase.  Thank you for the note.  According to the review of the full-spectrum P&S camera by Kolari Vision posted by this YouTuber, he is not very familiar to the digital UV/IR photography.

Nevertheless, the story of the origin of EIR is interesting enough to me.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 21:12:25 »
EIR was the very latest version, in the mid '90s if memory serves. It could be processed in E-6, and produced horribly garish colour totally devoid of the subtly delicate hues found with the earlier versions. I used mainly Infrared Ektachrome (IE) which was E-4 process.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:22:52 »
By the way, Birna, how does the unmodified camera work with the Kolari IR Chrome filter?  Would it just put out unimpressive monochromatic blue images?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 08:20:10 »
The Kolari "Aerochrome" filter is a very expensive gimmick. For once I sold off a photographic item because it could not deliver anything much easier and cheaper obtained by alternative methods.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:26 »
Thank you for clarifying!
Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 18:17:03 »

Yes, very annoying to keep hearing that "chloroplasts" are responsible.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 04:40:40 »
The Kolari "Aerochrome" filter is a very expensive gimmick. For once I sold off a photographic item because it could not deliver anything much easier and cheaper obtained by alternative methods.

Thank you for your advice.

Here's the part 2 (conclusion) of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgogt515Jk

The RNI plug-in introduced in the later part of the video costs 96 USD, but RNI offers a free version of iPhone app.  The free version forces your images to look as if they were shot with the P&S film camera, but works well enough to judge whether the plug-in for Lr and Ps is worth purchasing.

As explained in the video, the plug-in cannot tell the artificial subjects that just look green from the real foliage that reflects IR.

I downloaded the free app and tried to see how it works.  The firs image is original and the second, processed in the app.  I'm afraid the original image is a bit too dull.  The processed images should look much more vivid if the original images look more vivid.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 11:11:32 »
The greyish dirt in the playground in the foreground ought to stay neutral or acquire a slight cold hue if this were IE. Here it is tinged in red. Just goes to show the issue with the fake approach is much more than the conversion of all greens to red.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:36:07 »
The greyish dirt in the playground in the foreground ought to stay neutral or acquire a slight cold hue if this were IE. Here it is tinged in red. Just goes to show the issue with the fake approach is much more than the conversion of all greens to red.

Birna, thank you for scrutinizing my sample image from the point of view of an expert who knows about both the real thing and much more advanced simulations.

The pictorial effect can be interesting for some, but I, for one, would skip the plug-in...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 13:10:35 »
Thank you for the update! Interesting stuff ;)
Erik Lund