Author Topic: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?  (Read 6505 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 04:42:03 »
I find I'm able to use the DK-17M (1.2x) eyepiece with my D850 without glasses but then the top LCD and rear tilting monitor are too blurry for my use. With glasses I have to move camera in relation to my eye to see the corners and viewfinder data. The DK-17M as I suspected is not useful to me on the D850. I bought the DK-21M (1.2x) viewfinder eye piece for my D300s but it wasn't useful to me on that camera.   

A younger photographer who doesn't shoot with glasses can probably use the DK-17M on a D850. One's facial structure plays a roll. A boost from a 0.75x to 0.90x viewfinder magnification would be great for those who can use the DK-17M on their Nikon Camera.

I'm not particularly disappointed as I didn't think I could use the DK-17M on my D850 since I wasn't able to use it on my D800.

Dave

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 08:29:41 »
A pity you can’t use it. The DK17M was a systematic add-on since I first used the D700, eleven years ago. Without it, I would probably give up manual focus or move to mirrorless.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 03:16:53 »
A pity you can’t use it. The DK17M was a systematic add-on since I first used the D700, eleven years ago. Without it, I would probably give up manual focus or move to mirrorless.

If I was younger the DK-17M would be on my D850. The viewfinder focus indicator is useful but not as useful as the one in the F5 which was red-green-red instead of all white and could be used with peripheral vision. I think my D2H had the red-green-red display also. I wonder if the D6 has the red-green-red focus indicator but I doubt it.

There are visual tells to when critical focus is achieved on a repeating subject pattern, a moiré pattern on the focus screen or display. The D850 is as good as the F3HP and F5 for manual focus on the matte surface so for now it's OK.

Dave

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 09:42:54 »
If I was younger the DK-17M would be on my D850. The viewfinder focus indicator is useful but not as useful as the one in the F5 which was red-green-red instead of all white and could be used with peripheral vision. I think my D2H had the red-green-red display also. I wonder if the D6 has the red-green-red focus indicator but I doubt it.

There are visual tells to when critical focus is achieved on a repeating subject pattern, a moiré pattern on the focus screen or display. The D850 is as good as the F3HP and F5 for manual focus on the matte surface so for now it's OK.

Dave

Just checked this morning: the D6 has the focus indicator as a white dot surrounded by two white arrows, who light up.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 05:37:31 »
Just checked this morning: the D6 has the focus indicator as a white dot surrounded by two white arrows, who light up.

What a shame. The red-green-red display was so easy to use with peripheral vision. If I and my eyes were younger I could shoot without glasses and use the DK-17M with my D850.

Dave

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 19:11:10 »
Does anyone with inside knowledge know anything about the fate of the DK-17M? Not a new one to be found in the cosmos, and they have rapidly become a high ticket item on auction sites. I fear no more will be made, or that they stopped being made some time ago, and stock has run out.

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 20:50:51 »
Snoogly,

I checked B&H Photo, NY, NY, USA and the DK-17M is back ordered. Hopefully it isn't discontinued. I'd be using one if I could read the displays on my D850 without my glasses. I'm probably repeating myself but I was able to use the DK-17M with my D2H while wearing glasses but not with my D300s and forward.

Dave

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 01:38:34 »
Does anyone with inside knowledge know anything about the fate of the DK-17M? Not a new one to be found in the cosmos, and they have rapidly become a high ticket item on auction sites. I fear no more will be made, or that they stopped being made some time ago, and stock has run out.

I had one for sale if I can still find it.
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9284.msg154071#msg154071
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:29 »
Please let me know if you find it!

I am in Japan though ...

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 21:33:59 »
In Nikon store in my country it says that DK-17M is a discontinued product. You could try the Nikon store in your country to see availability.