Author Topic: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?  (Read 6507 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 23:50:01 »
ive always wondered what happened to katzeye :o :o :o

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 23:45:44 »
I wonder if the Nikon Gods will be favorable? I have a Nikon DK-17M, 1.2x magnifying eyepiece. I was able to use that eyepiece on one of my Nikon SLR/DSLR cameras and still see the complete viewfinder even with glasses. This was not possible with the D800.

Dave

[No: I'm certain I will not see the D850's full screen and data with the DK-17M and glasses.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 06:57:42 »
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
ride my Chevrolet.

--Billy Gibbons

The Nikon D850 has given me back my 105/2.5 AIS and 135/2.8 AIS Nikkor! This is as much fun as the well worn 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza I got when I was 18 years old. I'm going to tear up the Chevy Chase Canyon like I did when I was a senior in high school.

Dave

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 08:34:49 »
So you have pulled the trigger!

Well done David - enjoy!  :)

Thank you guys! I think it's time to pull the trigger on a D850.

Dave
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:53:10 »
Congratulations! Enjoy and share some images  ;)
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 12:27:35 »
My next frontier: using a Helios 50/2. You’ve been warned.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 02:30:29 »
The D850 viewfinder gives a similar focus experience to the F3HP (DE-3 Prism) and F5. The F3HP, F5 and D850 all have a viewfinder magnification of 0.75x and they are all excellent viewfinders so this makes sense. The F3 (DE-2 Prism) is easier to focus as it has a viewfinder magnification of 0.80x. I was fortunate to see the full F3 screen with my glasses on.

The eye relief of the D850 is just enough so I can see the full screen image and data with glasses on. Facial structure plays a roll so some may not be able to see the full D850 viewfinder image and data without moving the camera while wearing glasses. Under moderate light I can focus my 105/2.5 AIS consistently on the matte surface. I struggle to do the same with my 50/1.2 AIS. Perhaps this is because the 50/1.2 AIS is softer wide open than the 105/2.5 AIS is.

The DX camera beat the FX cameras for focusing ease: the D2H had a 0.86x finder magnification, the D300s a 0.94x and the D500 must be killer with a 1.0x finder.

I'm happy with the D850's viewfinder.  :)

Dave

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 09:11:01 »
Under moderate light I can focus my 105/2.5 AIS consistently on the matte surface. I struggle to do the same with my 50/1.2 AIS. Perhaps this is because the 50/1.2 AIS is softer wide open than the 105/2.5 AIS is.

Maybe. In general, the shorter the FL, the more difficult the focussing. The difficulty is due to, and compensated by, the higher DoF (error tolerance).

The Noct, while sharper wide open than the 50/1.2, is also difficult to focus on the Df, while for instance the 35/2.8 PC seems easier. So it is not just a matter of focal length.
Airy Magnien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:57 »
I'm using a split-image screen on the Df and have no issues with focusing my Nocts (AI & AIS models).

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 09:28:37 »
I'm using a split-image screen on the Df and have no issues with focusing my Nocts (AI & AIS models).

Sure, but since the eighties I'm sold on split-prism-and-other-clutter-free focussing screens. I find split prisms (and, worse, microprisms) distracting and prefer a few "misses" to permanent clutter. It is the same subjective issue as acceptance for electronic viewfinders: I can use them but would remove every possible display. Others will just reject them and only accept OVFs.

I might of course choose the lesser evil, i.e. split prism or even AF, if and when my eyesight becomes insufficient. Tempus transit.
Airy Magnien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2020, 09:58:58 »
My eyesight hasn't improved over the years -- I had to abandon my beloved F2 Titan because focusing became so difficult. With the Df I still have an excellent chance of getting everything right, at least for now. However, given the razor-thin depth of focus of the Noct at f/1.2, and the lens being manual focus, makes for slow pace of operation. That suit me well, however. I'm not an action photographer.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 10:56:38 »
I found that I wasn't too bad with focusing my 50/1.2 AIS on my D2H or but then body sway totally blew the focus if I was standing. The super thin DoF at f/1.2 and subject distance of 1.5 to 2.0 meters made holding focus a crap shoot. I think I was using the D2H with a DK-17m (1.2x). I think that gave me about a 1.0x viewfinder magnification. Focus on a bright screen was a matter of estimation at f/1.2.

A course screen was an option for the F3 and an old F2 or F3 non red-dot screen could be installed in an F4 or F5 focus screen frame. With a few slowish zooms like the AF-D 28-70/3.5-4.5 and AF-D 70-180/4.5-5.6 I don't think I want to install a dark custom screen in my D850. If I ever start shooting B&W and printing in the old wet darkroom I'll have to get some old F3 screens.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 11:02:10 »
I find split prisms (and, worse, microprisms) distracting and prefer a few "misses" to permanent clutter.

With FE2(s) and FM2n(s) I settled in to E screens or B screens. There is probably an E screen in my F3 and F5 but I haven't looked lately. I never liked microprism focus screen.

Dave

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 11:42:24 »
Dave, have you considered having a prescription lens made up and substituting it for the one in the D850 viewfinder eye piece? 

I am lucky in that I have enough adjustment in my camera bodies to avoid having to do this.

The D850 viewfinder gives a similar focus experience to the F3HP (DE-3 Prism) and F5. The F3HP, F5 and D850 all have a viewfinder magnification of 0.75x and they are all excellent viewfinders so this makes sense. The F3 (DE-2 Prism) is easier to focus as it has a viewfinder magnification of 0.80x. I was fortunate to see the full F3 screen with my glasses on.

The eye relief of the D850 is just enough so I can see the full screen image and data with glasses on. Facial structure plays a roll so some may not be able to see the full D850 viewfinder image and data without moving the camera while wearing glasses. Under moderate light I can focus my 105/2.5 AIS consistently on the matte surface. I struggle to do the same with my 50/1.2 AIS. Perhaps this is because the 50/1.2 AIS is softer wide open than the 105/2.5 AIS is.

The DX camera beat the FX cameras for focusing ease: the D2H had a 0.86x finder magnification, the D300s a 0.94x and the D500 must be killer with a 1.0x finder.

I'm happy with the D850's viewfinder.  :)

Dave
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 12:42:44 »
Dave, have you considered having a prescription lens made up and substituting it for the one in the D850 viewfinder eye piece? 

I am lucky in that I have enough adjustment in my camera bodies to avoid having to do this.

I had a full prescription eyepiece including correction for astigmatism made for my Hasselblad NC-2 Prism. The correction for astigmatism only works if you don't rotate the camera for verticals. Since the Hasselblad 500CM has a mind operated rotating turning the camera for verticals isn' a problem. With a change of focus screen the Hasselblad was as easy to focus as the F3. Today I'm using better quality off the shelf reading glasses. I need a new pair of superscription eye glasses. My last several pair gave me 20/15 vision. I'll have to see if that can be done again. I rather than the doctor might be the limiting factor. I guess shooting through prescription eye glasses corrects for astigmatism. The major factor aside from one's eyes is the viewfinder magnification.

Dave