Author Topic: D300s for IR  (Read 1130 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D300s for IR
« on: November 13, 2020, 02:18:00 »
Is the D300s a good candidate for IR conversion?

I have a D200 IR converted body that has been having some issues recently and want to know if the D300s would be a good candidate for replacement? Or should go for newer models? I use Ai/Ais lenses mostly for IR. The unit for sale has a considerable amount of actuations but is sold at around USD150 (converted from local currency). Conversion costs about USD 80 here.

Appreciate your inputs.

Bern
Keep shooting,
Bern

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: D300s for IR
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:10:01 »
I have used the D300S, IR live view is a nice feature over the D300.

Converted D800 is better.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:56:16 »
Live View is very important for IR work, unless you restrict yourself to 1-2 lenses the focusing behaviour of which you know inside out and thus can adjust to correct focus without further scrutiny. Doable, but certainly slows down the working pace. IR marks on lenses are a reminiscence of the film era and tend to be wildly inaccurate for digital IR in my experience.

I have only used the D300, not the S version, but an additional model letter should not detract from the usability of a nice camera :)

Bob's last remark reminds me of my D800 which now tends to be reserve to the reserve camera gear so could well be cast into an IR system, if the current PrimaLuce Z5 fails field testing. The D5300 IR has been a useful combination with the D3200 UV as they handle more or less the same and use the same batteries. Add a Df and you are all set to go.

Thus even in the niche sector of IR, there are lots of options to choose from.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 22:29:30 »
Good to hear that D800 and IR is working (UV as well?)
i am considering to have my D800E converted. Currently I have got a full-spectrum D200  but without Live- View focus-shift is indeed time consuming to cope with
Wolfgang Rehm

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 01:23:44 »
I recommend D800M monochrome converted sensor with BG-38 glass for UV.  The monochrome conversion strips the off the bayer CFA and micro lenses with the resulting sensor very sensitive to UV.

https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/168017848

Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 21:34:39 »
I recommend D800M monochrome converted sensor with BG-38 glass for UV.  The monochrome conversion strips the off the bayer CFA and micro lenses with the resulting sensor very sensitive to UV.

https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/168017848

Thanks for this proposal (And the link) -havent thought for this for myself - that would give B&W UV and no (false) colour UV though
Wolfgang Rehm