Author Topic: Laowa 25 mm ultra macro  (Read 123 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Laowa 25 mm ultra macro
« on: November 11, 2020, 18:43:22 »
I didn't find a recent thread of the Laowa 25 mm macro lens (2.5x - 5x). I got this lens today and decided to test it with frozen blueberries with my studio lights. This is shot at 2.5x magnification, 16 source images wide open at f/2.8 and stacked using Helicon Focus. I have shot ice at 2x using a bellows and lenses optimized for 1:1 but this is much easier to use, very compact, feels sturdily built and the result appears to be good. D850 camera, EFCS and flash with Elinchrom Silver Deep Umbrella 125cm with diffuser. I punched 67 Ws for each image and needed to use ISO 400 to get something to register. :-)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Laowa 25 mm ultra macro
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 18:56:30 »
I have used the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 as my main macro lens for a couple of years. The lens has pretty good performance. Image sharpness in fact is excellent (I'm using it at f/4 only and rely on stacking), but sometimes I'd wish for less chromatic aberrations. The maker ought to include ED glass for an updated version.

The build of the lens is sturdy and in general exhibits good workmanship.  I added a CPU to make it more versatile for my own fields of usage.

Fruiting Lemna minor (duckweed). 5X magnification. Z7, 25mm f/2.8 Laowa @f/4, 50 frames in Zerene Stacker