Author Topic: Will my Samyang 14mm f2.8 MF work on FTZ  (Read 1768 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
Will my Samyang 14mm f2.8 MF work on FTZ
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:53:06 »
When we had the Z demos a couple of years ago I took the Samyang 14mm along and it did not work . Sent the Z into lockdown. But things have moved on and if it will work via its lens chip then its a big tick towards getting a Z.
I know I can get a $40 dumb mount but would prefer the auto exposure mode.
I could change the chip to one from "Nikon Gear" which I am told works with FTZ.
Can anyone confirm the last line or anyone used the Samy on an FTZ?
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Will my Samyang 14mm f2.8 MF work on FTZ
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:34:20 »
I should work with any MF lens, I use it with unchipped MF Nikkors.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 11:50:10 »
The question is will the FTZ interface with the chip on the lens to enable use at f22 and auto iris operation etc.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 13:18:08 »
Yes, CPU equipped as well as 'Birna CPU' works on the Z cameras. See more in the Nikon Z6 Z7 thread.

Aperture on Nikkor and third party F-mount lenses work just fine via the FTZ.

AF issues where reported just after the Z release but I believe that AF will always be hit and miss with third party lenses via adapters,,,

https://alikgriffin.com/nikon-z-mount-lenses/
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 14:12:45 »
"Birna"-CPUs even give the much-sought-after "green light" via the FTZ. Tested with the newer Z models, such as Z50 & Z5 and likely also the Mk.II generation of Z6/Z7.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 14:19:58 »
"Birna"-CPUs even give the much-sought-after "green light" via the FTZ. Tested with the newer Z models, such as Z50 & Z5 and likely also the Mk.II generation of Z6/Z7.

You're still Out Of Stock with your CPU's?
Chris Dees

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 10:40:03 »
I put this on 4 forums and got the most usefull reply from  UHH.
Well I have an answer due to two americans who contacted me via UHH. It may work it may not . Rokinon 14mm has more chance than Samyang .It depends on age of lens ( chip version) and Z firmware. If it does not work the only sure way is to replace the chip with one from Andrey Kuryanov in the Ukraine ( input Nikon Dandelion chip into your ebay) He will send photos so you can see if you are up to it.

Also available intermittently via Nikongear.net. The post below will no doubt give us the current availability and price.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:10:18 »
I put this on 4 forums and got the most usefull reply from  UHH.
Well I have an answer due to two americans who contacted me via UHH. It may work it may not . Rokinon 14mm has more chance than Samyang .It depends on age of lens ( chip version) and Z firmware. If it does not work the only sure way is to replace the chip with one from Andrey Kuryanov in the Ukraine ( input Nikon Dandelion chip into your ebay) He will send photos so you can see if you are up to it.

Also available intermittently via Nikongear.net. The post below will no doubt give us the current availability and price.
Please provide information on what lens doesn't work. Thank you.
I disagree that the Dandelion is a sure way to go. They have quite a bad reputation if you search this site!
Erik Lund

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 15:56:12 »
I personally am only interested in the Samyang 14 mm. Some  will work with some firmware versions.
Rokenon  seem to have a higher success rate out the box  than Samyang.
I too have had problems with the dandelions but only at the programming stage. The ones from Andrey Kuryanov  come ready programmed to your lens  and disable the focus trap . It should be fit and forget and if not Andrey will sort you out  or fit it for you. He is well known for his high level of service.