Author Topic: 50 mm contest, part 1 : 3D subject at about 1 m distance  (Read 2715 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
50 mm contest, part 1 : 3D subject at about 1 m distance
« on: August 03, 2015, 18:46:09 »
Here my summary. Sorry for not posting pics, it is a heavy task for which I have not found elegant solutions (not having any site of my own).

Test scene : a kitchen corner at about 1.0m. The preferences expressed below therefore apply to 3D subjects, not to flat subjects. Backlighting and flare resistance were not tested. And night shots are another completely different subject.
The camera was a D800, so it may exacerbate differences that would remain unnoticed on a D700 or Df.
All tests were done using LV focus, so focus shift did not arise. From manual focus adjustments performed, I'd say that the 50/1.2 is most prone to focus shift. I also suspect (from relatively frequent misses in practice) that the 50/1.4 SC shifts focus to the rear. On the other hand, it delivers enough keepers; MF uncertainty (moving subject, moving operator) exceeds the shift values, so the statistics are not dramatically affected.
With all other lenses, focus shift seems to be a non-issue.

Comparisons were done in Lightroom, using the X/Y comparison function. This is indeed very difficult to share here...

50/1.4 SC vs. all others ______________________

The 50/1.4 SC is an "it" lens. It is least sharp and less contrasty wide open, exhibits more nervous bokeh, and somewhat more distortion (only the 50/1.2 beats it) and vignetting. Its colors are cooler. From 2.8, it is excellent in the center, as all others would be too, at least when tested on the Df (16 Mp sensor). I cannot mount this non-AI lens on the D800, so comparisons end there.
On the other hand, in real photography life, this lens does not disappoint. Even the wide apertures are usable for all sorts of "artistic" effects, and the center is very sharp already at f/2.0
The 50/1.4 SC exhibits significant bleeding (on night shots) and a crazy bokeh on bright backgrounds, reminding some "fauvist" paintings.
My copy is a late, multicoated version (manufactured 1974-1975); if you can find one for a low price, do not hesitate, the reward will easily exceed it. The handling is also excellent... on Df (reminder: non-AI!).

50/1.2 AI vs. 50/1.2 AIS ______________________

At all apertures from 1.2 to 4.0, they are virtually identical. Differences may be due to slightly changing lighting conditions, and sample variation (centering). It seems that the AIS colors are slightly warmer, and the contrast may be very, very slightly higher. This hints at modified coatings. There are no obvious differences in vignetting at the chosen focussing distance.

50/1.4 AIS vs. 50/1.2 AIS ___________________________

At 1.4, the 1.4 is distinctly sharper over most of the field. Accordingly, the bokeh is more nervous (more outlining, with green outlines in the background owing to LoCA). The 1.4 also exhibits lesser purple fringes on shiny cutlery edges for instance. The 1.4 vignettes more, as one would expect. It is also likely that the 1.2 has some forward field curvature (towards the camera), at least if compared with the 1.4. The 1.2 is slightly warmer.
At 2.0, both are similar, but for the vignetting, still higher with the 1.4. The 1.2 exhibits distinctly more lateral CA that can of course be corrected. The field curvature difference is still apparent.
At 2.8, vignetting levels out, and bokeh is roughly the same. The 1.4 is still a tad sharper. No changes in field curvature differential.
At 4.0, the only remaining, significant difference is the considerable lateral CA of the 50/1.2. Once CA is corrected, I still have the impression that the 50/1.4 is slightly sharper in the center, and possibly elsewhere too.

50/1.4 AIS vs. 50/1.8 AIS ___________________________

My 50/1.8 is a recent version, plasticky and with minimum focussing distance greater than 0.6m, so not the best choice, but for the chosen scene, it does not matter. I also got a 50/1.8 AI, which is better in both respects but with damaged coating, so it is used as a paperweight.
At f/2.0, colors and vignetting seem about the same. Center sharpness for the 50/1.4 is better; the 50/1.8 is still marred by some haze. Bokeh is similar in shape and tint (such as green outlining in the background), but the 50/1.8 has more outlining. The 50/1.8 seems to exhibit slightly less LoCA in the foreground; the 50/1.4 has more purple fringing, where the 50/1.8 has rather blue fringes on shiny parts.
At f/2.8, the overall pictures are hard to tell apart. The 50/1.4 still has the very slightly better center sharpness. The actual FL of the 50/1.8 is also slightly longer. The bokeh is now about the same (both lenses by the way have a 7 straight blade diaphragm, so you won't expect more differences on stopping down).
At f/4.0, differences narrow further down. I still see slightly better center sharpness with the f/1.4 lens.

50/1.4 AIS vs. 50/1.8 G ________________________________

At f/2.0, and to my surprize, both lenses are very close. Center sharpness of the 50/1.4 might be slightly better, but the 50/1.8 G delivers better edges and a more homogeneous field. This remains to be checked with a flat subject. Bokeh is similar, with maybe a tad more green LoCA with the 50/1.8 G. On the other hand, the cutlery is "cleaner" with the 50/1.8 G, so globally it is a tie.
At f/2.8, differences vanish. Strangely, the 50/1.8 G seems to have a lesser DOF.
At f/4.0, the 50/1.8 G has more contrast and takes over, if perceived sharpness is the criterion.

50/1.8 G and Zeiss 50/2 __________________________________

At f/2.0, the first thing you notice is the relatively warmer Zeiss rendering. In my opinion, the 50/1.8 G is more neutral, so let's call the zeiss "yellowish". Center sharpness of the Zeiss beats everybody else, including that of the 50/1.4 AIS. I'd call that a one-stop difference...
The Zeiss has slightly less CA. Bokeh is about the same. However, its sharpness field is not flat; the corners bend to the rear. This may be interpreted as "more nervous" bokeh, where in reality background details in the corners are more in focus, in other words less blurred...
At f/2.8, center sharpness of the Nikkor catches up, so both are now comparable. What remains is the field curvature and the color temperature.
At f/4.0, field curvature and the very slight remaining CA of the Nikkor is all what tells them apart. The closest corner is now brought in focus by the Zeiss, while the Nikkor insists that no, that corner is not in the same plane. And (surprize) I dare say that the Nikkor may be sharper in the center...

Bottom line ? _____________________________________________________

All lenses are very usable. The 50/1.4 AIS has the best performance amongst MF Nikkors.
Wide open, the 50/1.8G, while very good, may not be the best, but wait until I perform night tests... or until I shoot against the light. The Zeiss is in a category of its own, given its extreme shapness wide open (and in the center) and quasi-APO, but beware of field curvature. And, as you may know, the ZF2 version which I own is, alas, nuts against backlight as soon as you stop down...
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: 50 mm contest, part 1 : 3D subject at about 1 m distance
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 19:00:52 »
Forgot to say - credits for the group photo : Nikkor 55/2.8 @ f/22, plus loads of PP.
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 19:56:03 »
Thank you for posting this.  I like that there are no test shots.
I hope to post a small article about my 55/1.2K and it's crazy/hypnotic bokeh when I have collected enough example shots.
Side note:  I once had in my possession both a ZF 50/2 and a ZF.2 50/2.
The color of the lens coatings on many of the elements had changed between the two versions;  the many green and orange reflections in the ZF had been replaced by mostly all blue.
 I felt that the ZF.2 produced  a tiny bit more veiling flare and slightly more prominent ghosts.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 20:27:50 »
Delivering 25 test shots at full resolution is easy but impractical for the viewer. A full article with crops and comments would be nicer, but I lack time...

BTW good to know that the ZF was only marginally better, so I do not need to purchase it. On the other hand, the diglloyd review was misleading on that issue, to say the least.
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 20:31:54 »
Nice comparision. And for me the photo's are not really necessary too.   

You must have an exceptional 50mm F/1.4.  I had several, in different versions, but they never convinced me.  It could be bad luck.

You  never thought about to include a Nikkor 50mm F/2.0 in the race?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 21:17:53 »
Makes me wonder too. Some time ago, I tested the very same lens against the other ones, also using the D800 and LV, and came to different conclusions. Main difference was the subject : a brickwall, in the very same kitchen.
The 50/1.8 also was a positive surprize. Some features are unchanged (the tendency to yield blue fringes, rather than the 50/1.4 pink ones that I really dislike), others less apparent (the rather cold rendering, compared to 50/1.8G).

No, I have no 50/2 on board. Now I consider reselling the 50/1.2 AI and 50/1.8 AIS, but not before other tests are performed (night shots, flat subjects, distant subjects...). Fact is, the 50/1.2 AI is a bit too redundant with the AIS, and the 50/1.8 has no distinct personality nor outstanding feature (and the minimum focusing distance is a bit annoying for an allrounder - this is where I massively prefer the Voigtländer 40/2).
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:13 »
Very nice. Thank you. In another thread here I tested the legendary 2.0/50mm against the 1.8/50G and the 1.8G was
slightly better which I did not expect.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/