Author Topic: Nikkor 300 f4.5 AI-S ED IF cleaning  (Read 947 times)

keyojimbo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikkor 300 f4.5 AI-S ED IF cleaning
« on: October 31, 2020, 19:31:43 »
Tried both the Nikkor 300 f4 ED AF in previous post, and Nikkor 300 f4.5 ED IF. trying to get deeper into the f4.5

The main goal is what looks like the spatter on the rear group, between the iris assembly and the glass, circled in the first attachment. I can get as far as pulling the middle group from the focusing tube (I think) but that doesn't let me get to the back side of the rear group. Looking at the diagram from MIR I think there must be a way to split the main tube into two sections. Ideally I would like to do a full clean/re lube. I can feel a slip in the focus going from closest to infinity at around the 4m mark though it doesn't seem to affect anything while looking through the lens.

here's what I've been able to figure out so far

image 2
screw 1, 3x around the focus ring. holds the markings to the focus ring I think.
screw 2a, 3x around the tube body, set screws I think
screw 2b, just 1
screw 3, 2x holds aperture key to aperature control ring.

image 3
screw 4, holds AI lever to the tube body
one of screw 2a is visible

image 4
screw 5, 3x around. holds lens hood tube. allows access to remove front lens group cell.

image 5
screw 6, 5x holds mount to the tube body. allow access to aperature control key and AI lever

under the focus rubber grip. I don't know what these do.
image 6
screw 7, 3x as marked, no idea what they might do
screw 8, under focus ring, accessible at infinity focus, doesn't appear to move
screw 9, under focus ring, 6x, upper and lower, accessible at infinity focus, in 3 slots I think, don't appear to move

image 7
screw 10, only 1 under focus ring, accessible at ~2.8m focus, doesn't appear to move
screw 11, 2x under focus ring, upper and lower, moves fwd/back as focus ring rotates, both accessible at ~2.8m focus.

any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated, on this particular lens, or another that's optically and mechanically similar.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikkor 300 f4.5 AI-S ED IF cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:37:26 »
Nikkor lenses doesn't split in two unless you break them.
So you need to work your way into the lens from the front and the rear.
Good luck!
The dead point at 4m is most likely just the way the IF works, there is probably a standstill as different sets of elements starts /stops moving.
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:00 »
one day...i will afford this lens :o :o :o

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 23:17:15 »
I can feel a slip in the focus going from closest to infinity at around the 4m mark though it doesn't seem to affect anything while looking through the lens.

The inner focusing elements are on a helix with a linear forward/back movement between infinity and close focus limit. All the other glass is fixed. It's not on a cam which changes direction like some zooms. Uneven focusing action could be due to wear or lubrication which has dried, it would probably be fixed with a clean and relube.

keyojimbo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 00:06:20 »
Started going deeper in... surprisingly simple lens

Image 1: the pieces I've been able to disassemble. Main tube with focus ring, front group shroud, iris and rear group, 1 element, still inside. Front group top center, 3 elements. Mid group top right, 3 elements, focusing group moves forward/backward. Aperture key center, stop-down lever to the right of it under Mid group. bottom center is lens hood assembly. Lens mount is out of the shot, but nothing special there, 5 screws and a simple flocked tube that reaches the back side of aperture assembly.

Image 2: looking down the front with Front and Mid groups out. Rear group is fixed, and too deep in for me to reach as it is right now.  first tube out from the center carries Mid group, attached to focusing mechanism by screw 9, six of them. anodized tube with slots is the main tube body it looks like. The grove that focusing ring rides on seem to be machined to the inside of the focusing ring. Outter most is front group shroud.

Image 3: looking down the back, nothing really complex. at the top is where stop-down lever attach. directly opposite, bottom of the shot around 6'o clock is tab for Aperture key. that's all the moving bits there is.

taking out screws 2a and 2b doesn't allow anything to unscrew as far as I can tell. Neither does screw 10, I thought that would allow me to unscrew the front group shroud but doesn't seem to be the case. Screw 8 is the focus limiter.

I'm pretty much stuck here. Some large piece must still come off the main tube, either the front group shroud or rear section where lens collar wraps around is a sleeve. Just don't know what. Put considerable pressure on the front shroud to no avail. still can't figure out what Screw 7 do... they seem to hold some steel or bare aluminum piece to the inside of focus ring but can't see where that might link to. Looking through the slots there doesn't seem to be a helicoid. the focusing group ride on groves machined to the inner wall of the focusing ring, the entire focus travel from closest to infinity is just maybe 5/8th of a full turn.

Maybe try taping down the focusing ring on the outside then take out the inner ring and see if there's anything new exposed. no high hopes though.