Author Topic: Photoshop CC 22.0 Upgrade  (Read 2122 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Photoshop CC 22.0 Upgrade
« on: October 23, 2020, 18:15:14 »

This upgrade is more than just minor. The system of Photoshop and Camera Raw seems to work faster and much smoother. It is noticeable.

The ability to hide panels in Camera Raw is very welcome, as is the ability to select an area of an image, blow it up, and edit. I have been able to remove very fine clipping in this way.

Also increase GPU support. The new Color Grading Wheels we are used to in video editing software like Premiere Pro I will have to play with to use them in still photography, but should be useful. Also new cameras, lenses, and supported profiles.

It is remarkable to actually feel the difference and smoother movement in the software. 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Photoshop CC 22.0 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 18:42:35 »
Hmm, do not find any difference regarding speed in my case.

Actually, I'm pretty fed up with Bridge and ACR:
1. Bridge doesn't allow me to open all of my nef files (even if they're from the same "serie" of pictures), some tiff I get to open in ACR (via Bridge), others not. Seems pretty unstable to me.
2. In ACR we don't get to see the actual change when adjusting things like colorspace and mp - in camera preferences in ACR. Before we could see if the files got any burned out highlights when going from ProPhoto RGB to sRGB while adjusting in ACR. If we change mp from original (45 with D850) to 5 mp, we don't see any change in actual size - if I want to see how sharpening adds to the 5mp file, I have to send it to PS, because when in ACR we still have the original size when zooming in at 100%.

Considering using Capture NX- D as a raw converter and find another solution to use instead of PS.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 20:31:39 »
Bridge doesn't allow me to open all of my nef files (even if they're from the same "serie" of pictures), some tiff I get to open in ACR (via Bridge), others not. Seems pretty unstable to me.

That seems very strange.
Perhaps you need to trash and reset all of your Bridge Preferences?
There have been some changes in the Prefs for the new version of Br.

If you open a folder of NEF images in Bridge (and have of course waited for the thumbnails to load); can you not Shift select for a contiguous selection (or Cmd select for a discontinuous Selection); and use Cmd R to open the whole batch simultaneously in ACR?
This works perfectly for me.

(In Windows: Use Ctrl instead of Cmd).

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 11:41:04 »
Great additions in ACR (the Colorwheels) and CC 2021.

I don't use Lightroom and Bridge... (too slow and big for my taste)

My preferred workflow goes via Faststone  --  ACR  (or PhotoNinja64, Rawtherapee) --  and CC for the finetune and resizing.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:37 »

This upgrade is more than just minor. The system of Photoshop and Camera Raw seems to work faster and much smoother. It is noticeable.

The ability to hide panels in Camera Raw is very welcome, as is the ability to select an area of an image, blow it up, and edit. I have been able to remove very fine clipping in this way.

Also increase GPU support. The new Color Grading Wheels we are used to in video editing software like Premiere Pro I will have to play with to use them in still photography, but should be useful. Also new cameras, lenses, and supported profiles.

It is remarkable to actually feel the difference and smoother movement in the software.

Out of curiosity and as color accuracy is very important for your work. Do you operate on a color grading monitor?
Not a super duper calibrated monitor but specifically a Color Grading Monitor?

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 15:12:28 »
Out of curiosity and as color accuracy is very important for your work. Do you operate on a color grading monitor?
Not a super duper calibrated monitor but specifically a Color Grading Monitor?

I use the NEC MultiSync PA302W monitor.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com