Author Topic: Water Drops in the Air  (Read 1215 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Water Drops in the Air
« on: October 19, 2020, 01:09:16 »
I was playing around with my new Olympus 12-45mm f/4 lens.  It's nice and compact, and goes very well with the E-M5 III.  The lens is sharp as reported in reviews.  I still like the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 lens for its larger maximum  aperture, but the f/4 lens definitely has its place.

When I took these photos I was running a sprinkler in the back yard.  Freezing the motion of the water drops in midair looked... meh.  I prefer the longer paths obtained with a slower exposure.  An ND filter would be a good idea next time.  Photos are cropped to taste.  Exposure was set at 1/10 or 1/20 and aperture at f/8, higher than I would usually go in this sensor format.  I didn't have access to RAW file manipulation so I just worked with jpegs.

Spray in the Back Yard no 1
by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Spray in the Back Yard no 2

Spray in the Back Yard no 3

Plants in the photos are all native to montane and coastal moist forests in northern California, and northward from there into the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S.  They include western mountain-ash (Sorbus scopulina), hawthorn (Crataegus douglasii(?)), California hazelnut (Corylus cornuta var. californica), Cascade barberry (Berberis nervosa), creeping barberry (B. aquifolium var. repens), inside-out flower (Vancouveria hexandra), vine maple (Acer circinatum),  and western sword fern (Polystichum munitum).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Water Drops in the Air
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:27:45 »
The unwoven-fabric-like renditions of the falling water in #2 and #3 looks interesting and worth experimenting more.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:56:48 »
My wife thinks #3 looks like cat hair on clothing or furniture!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:44:33 »
Bill, your wife is not wrong!  (I love cats, just not their hair & fur.)  ;D

A great idea with a lot of potential for further experimentation, especially with backgrounds and lighting.  Probably No.2 for me.

My wife thinks #3 looks like cat hair on clothing or furniture!
Hugh Gunn

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:59:25 »
Yeah, these are not exactly the best compositions but the effects are intriguing.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 15:01:29 »
Interesting, could be used as 'water painting' sort of similar to 'light painting'
Erik Lund

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 17:10:28 »
I think contrast will be better inhouse, especially when you take the complementary colored water to your couch  :) you can still tell your wife, it was the cat

Thomas Stellwag

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 19:18:12 »
Interesting, could be used as 'water painting' sort of similar to 'light painting'
My thoughts too. I like the effect very much, specially when combined with light contrast.

Thanks for sharing it!