Author Topic: Funleader 18mm f/8 Cap Lens (Z-mount) is, well, pretty fun!  (Read 916 times)

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
Funleader 18mm f/8 Cap Lens (Z-mount) is, well, pretty fun!
« on: September 28, 2020, 00:20:32 »
For reasons that are not clear to me, I have always been excited about getting a body cap lens. So, when I saw that this one was available in Z-mount, I had to grab it. Here are a few links about it:

https://myfunleader.com/
https://www.dpreview.com/news/3707382415/funleader-lenscap-18mm-f8-0-and-an-ultra-light-ultra-wide-body-cap-lens
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funleader18/the-slimmest-funleader-lenscap-18mm-f-80

The lens does not have any focus adjustment at all (not even the little lever on the Lomography Minotaur lenses) and the aperture is fixed at f/8. The lens comes prefocused at the hyperfocal distance such that everything from 0.8m to infinity is supposed to be in focus. Eh, perhaps a Z7 isn't the ideal camera for playing the no-need-to-focus game, but I think it is best to stick to things that are a few meters away. It is pretty fun to use, though, and I have gotten a few pictures I like. It is very solidly built—maybe even too solidly, given the weight—and extremely compact. I have been taking it on some exercise focused walks up a nearby hill and it is nice to have. It's not going to generate a massive print, but when the subject is at the right range, it responds well in Lightroom to some added contrast, texture, and sharpening. There are no filter threads, but who needs a polarizer when you have over-the-top vignetting?

It is probably best to keep the subject fairly centered, too. At least if you want to zoom in much.

I will be first in line for at least one of the Z-mount pancakes when they come out (28 and 40), and have thought about the Z 24-50, but this is a nice thing to keep on the camera body when you are storing it, and will tide me over until those pancakes emerge.

The first two examples were cropped just a little to straighten them (I shot these not really from-the-hip...more like from-the-knee) and the third one had a little of the bottom cropped off to make a 4:5 ratio. I am open to theories and conjecture about the crazy reflection/flare/whatever that is going on in that third frame; I have seen it in several photos now.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
Re: Funleader 18mm f/8 Cap Lens (Z-mount) is, well, pretty fun!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:09:43 »
Nice and small, if 2.8 and no vignette would be better 8)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Funleader 18mm f/8 Cap Lens (Z-mount) is, well, pretty fun!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:57 »
Thank you for mentioning the lens! Very nice review images ;) Love the cactus, but yes a lens to use up close for max impact!

Quite the sales pitch  :o ;D quote:

FUNLEADER Cap Lens 18mm f/8 is not a high-end camera lens, but a lens for leisure and creativity. It is small, light and playful, which makes you find the joy and freedom in photography. 
That MTF curve says it all :o ;D
Erik Lund