Author Topic: Choosing between 10.5/2.5 and 135/2.8 Q  (Read 4885 times)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Choosing between 10.5/2.5 and 135/2.8 Q
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 09:51:41 »
It was tough, but I decided. I let 10.5 go and kept 135. (I reasoned that I need to reduce amount of the lenses I already have because I bought analog camera as well and I already have 105 1.8 )

Now I´m in search for 50 1.2 ai or ai-s. I´m slightly leaning for ai version even though in the past I had an ai-s which I liked a lot. I wonder now - why I sold it? :-D

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 16:14:53 »
Curious to know why. I have both and I'm also leaning towards [not revealed] because [unsure].
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 21:23:01 »
Years ago I remember deciding between the AI-S 105/2.5 and 135/2.8. Both were the same price. The 135mm has more reach, the 105mm is slightly faster and a bit more compact, otherwise their performance and handling is similar. I went for the 135 as it gives me more reach and better ability to blur out the background. I found it very useful as the longest lens in my compact travel/hiking kit, 105 felt a bit short.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 22:41:34 »
Now I´m in search for 50 1.2 ai or ai-s.

Ai has 7 blades, Ai-s has 9.  Key factor to consider.
-Tristin

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 22:52:16 »
... and which I did not find discriminating, in that particular case.
Airy Magnien

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 13:37:35 »
That’s not even funny anymore. Could somebody help me and recommend some GAS remedy? :-)

When did I decide to compare 135 2.8 Q with 10.5 2.5 and then let the 10.5 go? Couple of weeks ago? Month? Then David Hartman came up with thread about 105 and 135 lenses again and you guys chimmed in and BOOM – I was on Yahoo auction site in no time  – and guess what?
I bought another 10.5 2.5.

You have to love (or hate) Japan for its abundant sources.  :-)

I do hope that I will be able to visit Japan again next year as this year all my planned business trips (three of them) were cancelled due to corona.

Now I have only one serious problem – I will have to wait for a parcel delivery which will probably take some weeks. I do not remember myself waiting so impatiently for Christmas gifts. Even as a kid. Ha ha  :-D

Oh, one more thing. I would like to ask you guys, whoever could confirm. Last time when I got 10.5 lens ai-ed, service man filed the aperture ring, which was practical, but the lens´s appearance suffered. So now I consider buying ai kit – this one: Nikon AI Conversion Kit 40 for 105mm F2.5 - Kameratori (kamerastore.com)
According this link:  Nikon Lenses (photosynthesis.co.nz) it should be OK if I understand it right. So am I right?

And final note: based on the part number of the lens I dare to hope that it´s going to be early 9 aperture blades version. That just would be a top bonus.  :-)

EDIT
Somehow links aren´t active. Nevermind.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 14:54:42 »
You need to be a bit more precise with what lens you have bought for us to help,,, serial number and/or images of the lens not sure any of the 10.5 cm lenses has a kit that fits,,,
They are all without screws in the mount as I recall,,,

but Rolands pages are to be trusted down to the details regarding kits as well:This is the link for the page with kit numbers:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105
Erik Lund

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 15:30:24 »
Thank you for your reply. The lens is this one:

EDIT: which means that it is 9 blade one. Yay  :-)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 20:39:04 »
That is a very good find! The serial number suggests the lens has 9 aperture blades so out of focus blurs will be nicely rounded (except for mechanical vignetting in the corners at wide apertures). It also should have a normal length aperture ring. Most early 10.5cm lenses with 9 aperture blades have a "long skirt" aperture ring, it extends beyond the lens mount more than normal so they won't fit most AI cameras, or even the DF unless the entire lower edge is trimmed back (I'm not sure if they fit the FTZ adaptor). Fewer than 1000 of the last 9-blade lenses were assembled with normal length aperture rings so they are quite rare. I have one :)

There is no AI conversion kit for this lens, it is too early. AI conversion kit 40 only fits Nikkor-P 105/2.5 from serial number 234011 and higher, earlier lenses have a different structure for the aperture ring which is not compatible with the later version. Your only option is to modify the original aperture ring.

Without doubt the best AI conversion for this lens is by Marcel Van Engen at https://magnimopus.com/services/. He mills out the inside edge of the aperture ring to form the AI cam, from the outside the lens retains its original appearance. It only works on lenses where the aperture ring is relatively thick. I had my 10.5cm lens converted by mine, he did an outstanding job. You only need to send the aperture ring - just remove the screw in the side of the aperture ring half way around from the aperture scale, and then turn the aperture ring, it will keep turning until it screws right off. Count the number of turns so you know how far to screw it back on again :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 22:10:13 »
That’s not even funny anymore. Could somebody help me and recommend some GAS remedy? :-)

Humans are into tools. They have been for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years. As long as it's not an obsession that rules your life and takes resources away from other important aspects of one's life like eating and sleeping buying new and useful tools isn't a problem.

When did I decide to compare 135 2.8 Q with 10.5 2.5 and then let the 10.5 go? Couple of weeks ago? Month? Then David Hartman came up with thread about 105 and 135 lenses again and you guys chimmed in and BOOM – I was on Yahoo auction site in no time  – and guess what?
I bought another 10.5 2.5.

Many years ago I was in the infield at the Riverside International Race Way. I was there for a CAM-AM series race (Canadian-American Challenge Cup). Fortunately I brought a 105/2.5 and 135/3.5 Nikkor lens. Although I would have liked tighter framing with the 135mm lens I could not pan and frame with the race cars as they were passing me fairly close at probably 90 MPH. Many of my shot would have clipped the front or back off the cars. I switched to the 105mm and I could concentrate on panning and freezing the cars while blurring the wheels.

A shooting distance of 2 meters give or take gives a particular perspective to the human face that I like. At that distance a 105mm crops the subject as a head and shoulders shot. At the same distance a 135mm lens crops a tight head shot. The 105mm and 135mm lens are like too similar but usefully different brushes to a painter. Painters have jars full of similar brushes and feel no shame. Photographers should feel no shame for having a cabinet full of similar and useful lenses.

Don't swear yourself to a life of optical poverty!  :D

Dave

---

This thread might be helpful to those suffering from GASRS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome Related Stress)...

If you had to pare down your Nikon F bayonet lens system.... (Improved: Now 55 Lenses!)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 23:21:42 »
Roland, thank you for straightening me up with the (im)possible ai kit. I´ll have it filed as the previous one. In the meantime it could be cleaned of dust as well which seams to be there in spades.

Marcel Van Engen is residing in UK? The price mentioned on the web is in UK pounds. I could consider sending it over if he is within Europe as I´m in Czech.

David!
Thank you for the GASRS link.  :D
I´m healed. Hallelujah.  :D

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 23:58:17 »
Even if your 10.5cm could fit an AI kit, you would be very lucky to find one, most were used up years ago.
Yes Marcel is in the UK. He is also a member here ( MarcelvanEngen )

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 02:08:02 »
Thank you, Roland.
I already contacted with Marcel and I'll send the lens to him - it should be sent off today, so if it goes well as it went with my new 50 1.2 I could get it in about two weeks.   :)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 04:21:23 »
Ai has 7 blades, Ai-s has 9.  Key factor to consider.
   In 95% of cases I did use it wide open, the rest of 5% - at f2.0. I mean my MF Noct. So...    LZ

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 13:01:57 »
It took a bit longer than I expected for the lens to make it here from Japan (to Czech, about 4 weeks) due to the Post pre-Christmas and end of the year high traffic but finally I can admire it.   :)

I purchased the lens in Japanese site called Yahoo Auctions, and decided to go for it even though it was labeled “junk”. I was feeling that I missed something good after I decided to sell my previous 10.5 cm 2.5 (Sonnar version with 6 aperture blades which also I got in YA site), so it did not take long and after reading above mentioned David Hartman’s thread I was back hunting.

And what a great piece I was lucky to get! Junk? Not at all! Lens made 60 years ago and so beautiful. For 13500 ¥. I was not only one who bid and luckily I wasn’t calm while bidding and increased my intended maximal ceiling bid value several times over during couple of last minutes.   ;D

I have a kind of feeling that my lens purchases are over (for the time being) and I will try to look for some analog Nikon body. I’m dreaming about some nice FM2. And sure – I’m keeping my eyes on YA site.  8)

Photos of the lens itself will follow soon. And photos taken by the lens will come a bit later as I will have to arrange ai modification at first to put it on my D700.