Author Topic: Adapting the W-Nikkor S (RF) to Leica M10  (Read 1204 times)

wolan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Adapting the W-Nikkor S (RF) to Leica M10
« on: September 20, 2020, 21:49:28 »
Hi,

In order to adapt the W-Nikkor S 35mm f1.8 (RF) to a Leica M10 I have been looking for an adapter in the internet and found a couple of them:
- Very cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-S-Rangefinder-RF-lens-to-Leica-M-L-M-Mount-Adapter-M9-M-E-Type-240-246/154031872822?hash=item23dd03db36:g:7~gAAOSwFdtX0SmE
- Very expensive:  https://shop.cameraquest.com/nikon-contax-rangefinder-lens-adapters/amedeo-nikon-rangefinder-mount-to-leica-m-mount-adapter

Why is the second option so expensive?
I have heard that S lenses can be adapted to the Leica M mount, but this Nikkor 35mm f1.8 is an exception, because it has a protruding back element that interferes with the rangefinder mechanism? Would the second adapter somehow be a better solution? By the way, I can used it with the Visoflex and give up the focusing with the rangefinder if no other option is left

Thanks.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Adapting the W-Nikkor S (RF) to Leica M10
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:30:31 »
amedeo makes the best adapters ::)

cheap made in china ones do not even compare. :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:34:49 »
Amedeo adapter allows S-mount 50mm lenses to focus.  Its construction is much more complicated than the simple S to M adapter.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 13:52:51 »
The distance to the sensor must be the same regardless of the adapter, otherwise it will not be able the have infinity focus.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 18:54:13 »
The Roxsen items tend to be fairly faithful to the proper dimensions required of the adapter. So I for one would not hesitate getting one. Sometimes all that is needed is an extra shim if the adapter is slightly out of true.

The 3.5cm f/1.8 has its own focusing mount so doesn't  need one of those expensive Amadeo adapters with extra focusing built-in.

The short register distance of the Nikkor prevents its use on a Visoflex or similar.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 11:20:28 »
I have at least 30 cheap Chinese adapters for various lenses (for Sony mirrorless) and rarely have had problems with them. Manufacturing tolerances do tend to be sloppy, and sometimes there is a bit of play in them, but as long as your lens is held parallel to the focal plane and you can focus using the sensor there is no real problem with that.