Author Topic: Nikon 1, AW 1 camera ?'s  (Read 1371 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Nikon 1, AW 1 camera ?'s
« on: September 18, 2020, 21:15:59 »

I recently picked up a Nikon 1, AW 1 camera with a well worn torn lens, all presently working fine.

For extra measure, might I put a light coat off petrol jelly on the rubber gaskets & O ring, prior to dunking it, to see if it leaks. (I'm fairly sure it was used under water.)
I have an old container of IkeLight grease, which looks like petrol jelly.

A while back on an Ebay whim, I purchased a J5, Nikon 1 camera and lens. (Tiny sensor paranoid, and I was almost astounded.)

Any info, tips, are welcome.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon 1, AW 1 camera ?'s
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:58:36 »
Congratulations with the acquirement!

Only the O-ring is designed to be greased, not the gaskets. The gaskets need to be very clean, free of any tiny hair or dust on them, same with the surface they seal too. Also check that the gaskets have not been mis-treated and have nicks in them.

The internal (non-user-replaceable) O-rings of the zoom lens are very thin. Move the zoom slowly if it is submerged or above water due to low robustness of the internal mechanics and possibility to warp the O-ring.

When performing the leak test watch very carefully for bubbles escaping, especially around the zoom ring. If leaky, water can enter very quickly. On the bright side if water enters the lens, it might not reach the body if the leak is small.

Other than inspecting the main o-ring for defects (happened new on mine at the seam), this is a very safe piston type seal that is of little concern as long as it is clean and has enough grease to move freely. It is normal that the lens is tight to dismount. Make sure to grab the narrow ring on the body, not the zoom ring when dismounting.

Now you only need a 10mm lens and an Olympus fisheye converter. (See the AW-1 review on this site).  :)
Øivind Tøien

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 11:08:24 »
Good luck Peter and please share some of your results

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 20:16:59 »
I'm also working on a wider conversion lens to put on the 11-27.5. The 10mm is simplistic, however finding a used, frugal priced copy is going to be difficult.

(That 6.7-13 wide zoom is wonderful on everything it touches, but it isn't waterproof.)

I also really like the built in GPS tagging, especially with no networking, making "Big Brother," not the 1st to see my pics. I don't have the lens mount cover, that's supposed to be used with standard Nikon1 lenses mounted but I really can't hurt anything. I will check diameters on plastic snap lids. Maybe I'll get lucky.

(I realize the large O ring is likely a proprietary Nikon only part.)
Thank you. A ton of "Food for Thought," in your review, Øivind

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 06:13:00 »

The Olympus fisheye converter does not work that well on the 11-27.5mm - the result is not that wide. With the 10mm there is synergistic performance. Alone under water the 10mm has strong pincushion distortion at close distance. This is almost perfectly matched by the curvature of the fisheye converter, so the result is a nearly rectilinear lens. It also allows closer focus and becomes a pretty useful wide macro lens. Another advantage is that the 10mm does not have the weakness of possible leak that comes with a zoom ring. So if you can find one and is really interested in underwater use of the AW1 at snorkeling depths, it is well worth it.

To literally wet you appetite, here is a link to a thread using the combination, and my favorite image from that thread:
Snorkeling the Silfra fissure in Thingvellir Park, Iceland:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=7907.msg128232#msg128232

Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:39:24 »
(I realize the large O ring is likely a proprietary Nikon only part.)

I was able to buy replacement O-Rings from China (Ebay), sizes 3mm x 54mm (red) and 3mm x 55mm (white), for a very low price of 2.30€ for 10 pieces (globally 20 pieces for 4.60€). Not Nikon original, but they fit perfectly. Took 120 days to get delivered!

I was also able to buy the Olympus FCON-T01 adapter, new from Amazon, for 125€. Prices fluctuate, you have to monitor when they drop. Currently it's sold around 170-175€. Works on the 10mm like a charm, just like Øivind said (thanks Øivind!)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 20:12:13 »
The 11-27.5 front element is set fairly far back, behind i suppose a waterproof UV filter. I first have to mount a 40.5 filter to actually get a step up ring to thread into the lens front.

A while back I purchased a used Canon G1 X, (1st version,) and the seller included a bunch of 58mm conversion lenses that I have been messing with on the AW1. With the Canon & AW1, a .43 wide adapter by Zomei worked wonderful on the Canon. I did have to mount a + 2 close up lens behind the wide converter and use Canon "macro mode.) I also reversed the convex element of the +2 which produced less distortion. I wish it worked equally well on the Nikon

There also is a vivitar fisheye, (.21 wide) that works well on the AW1's 11-27.5, making a nice circular image at 11mm. The Zomei works OK but not near as well on the nikon. Nikon's own 30-110 works quite well on the AW1, for dry land photography and that silly 6.7-13 is a gem both with 14 & 20 megapixel Nikon 1's.