Author Topic: Pentacon Six CZJ MF lenses on D700  (Read 2641 times)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Pentacon Six CZJ MF lenses on D700
« on: September 04, 2020, 10:39:34 »
Hi guys.

Last couple of days I was going through a number of websites and searching for a info regarding possible usage of medium format lenses on digital bodies. Some people dismissed that idea saying that resolution won´t be good enough, some said that their results are very nice.

I had to find out for myself.

Today I got the lens adapter for mouting Pentacon Six lenses on Nikon and did not wait too long to test it. My wife agreed to become role model for this occassion. :-)

As the first lens to try I mounted Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120/2.8 and took a portrait.

This shootout, in which also other lenses I have (CZJ Biometar 80/2.8 and Sonnar 180/2.8 )will take a part, will help me to decide which lenses to sell (as I have also bought couple of old manual Nikkors not so long ago - GAS is a nasty thing).

Based on the todays result I have to say that I will very likely part with Nikkor Q Auto 135/2.8 even though it really is a very nice lens.

Test shots with other above mentioned lenses will follow in couple of days. I hope.  :-)

P.S.

Color portrait is taken with aperture fully open, for BW shot I closed aperture a bit.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Pentacon Six CZJ MF lenses on D700
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 14:21:45 »
Looks good. Some minimal blue fringing on the hair. Bokeh seems good, but you got a seemingly forgiving background. Does it flare ? how does it compare (favourably, according to your comments) with the 135/2.8 Q ? (I do not own the latter)
Airy Magnien

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 14:30:40 »
You are right about the background - it was quite far behind. I will need to test it more. About flare I do not know anything yet.
I will come back with another findings.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 21:13:12 »
From what I found on the internet, this lens looks like a bargain. Maybe I could mount one on my century-old view camera :)
Airy Magnien

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:49:10 »
When you are lucky you can get it for VERY nice price.
I bought this camera with above mentioned three lenses for less then 300 Euros.

I was already able to check for a flare. It has a plenty of it.  :-D
Also the 180 suffer when shooting in the direction of sun.
Portraits test still needs to be done though.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 10:08:55 »
I’ve got a Pentacon Six with the 80 biometar and used it with my previous D7200 and not with D750 that I have now
It has an excellent resolution even wide open and high contrast as I can also see in your lens, not a dream lens for digital
The 180/2.8  6x6 if it’s the same to fit 35 is an excellent lens legend in his age

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:08 »
Yesterday I met very nice guy while havng a walk in town with my camera / equipped with Biometar 80/2.8 zebra you mentioned above.
I asked him for a portrait.  :-)
I also came back later to the place he was (selling his handmade creations - bracelts, earrings, and so - you can find more about him and his partner on their website www.cyclingnomads.org) with Pentacon Six and took another portraits with 80/2.8 MC - which I also have (one of them I will sell).

And today I plan to take with me Sonnar 180/2.8 zebra and try some portraits with some other friends I´m going to meet on our vape session.  :-)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 23:12:42 »
As I said above I did.
Couple of shots with Sonnar 180/2.8
Heavy lens, but it was quite possible to handhold. Maybe, if I´m shooting some photosession which would last some time I would said something else, but today with my friends, we were just sitting and chatting and just occassionally I asked them to stand up and pose for me.  :-)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 23:45:26 »
  Clean subject, smooth background. Looks Excellent.
Airy Magnien

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 00:24:39 »
you show the capability of those CZJ lenses very well. I like your picture style and your models in good mood.
The 180mm is a heavy one. My version is the one before the zebra with the teardrops around the ring. It was not usable on my D700 as it had silver aperture blades and they gave a lot of reflexes on the sensor. I never tried it on other cameras. Later I got the Olympia Sonnar which worked excellent on everything.
Thomas Stellwag

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 07:52:20 »
Excellent lens with nice bokeh!

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 17:26:48 »
Thank you, guys.
Two more shots today.
First again 180
Second 80 zebra with macro ring.

Gregje

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 12:24:24 »
Do you mind sharing which adapter you used?

I have just got Pentacon 135mm f2.8 and CZJ 50mm f1.8 zebra (M42) lens  and CZJ 29mm and CZJ Biometar 80mm f2.8 (both exa exakta) from my father.
I am eager to try them.
Just reading about incompatibility of the registering distance of M42 and Exakta with Nikon F.

So far I got some pics using Pentacon 135mm and a  plain M42 adapter (obviously not focusing at ininity). I ordered another one which might shave off 1mm to see how much it improves with my copy of the lens.

As for Exakta I am planning to try plain M39 to NikF which goes on the existing Exakta mount + some rubber O-ring as explained somewhere on the web.   

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 13:22:09 »
I can post the link here, but it wont be of any help for you Im afraid. My lenses are Pentacon Six mount which is different from your lenses.
But M42/Nikon adapter is easy to be find. I post the links for both below >

https://www.befoto.cz/objektivy/big-adapter-objektivu-pentacon-six-na-fotoaparaty-nikon/

https://www.profotak.cz/Adapter-redukce-M42-pro-Nikon-d1290.htm

These links are for seller based in Czech (Im in Czech) but for sure you could find them online somewhere.

Gregje

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 14:59:35 »
I guess my question was more like: if you used an adapter with lens which brand was it (because your photos look great).
The first one you linked is with a glass isn't it?