Author Topic: September 2020  (Read 23494 times)

beryllium10

• NG Member
Re: September 2020
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2020, 08:41:06 »
Smoke from the fires up and down the west coast US shrouding the evening sun, seen through the gravel works on the Ballard lakefront in Seattle.  300 mm f/4 plus TC 1.4.  No problem viewing the sun's disk directly, which would be unthinkable with this lens under a clear sky.  We're hoping an imminent Pacific storm will clear much of the smoke away by Saturday.  Cheers,  John

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:03 »
September 14

yellow building

D850  tamron 45/1.8

very nice stark color shot
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:48 »
Velvet-top fungus (Phaeolus schweinitzii)   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaeolus_schweinitzii)

D3s  85/1.4 AF-D

need to get back into the forests.... thx for the reminder
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2020, 15:02:12 »
You are welcome, Frank ;)

Autumn starting?

Z6  50/1.8S

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2020, 17:15:15 »
Smoke from the fires up and down the west coast US shrouding the evening sun, seen through the gravel works on the Ballard lakefront in Seattle.  300 mm f/4 plus TC 1.4.  No problem viewing the sun's disk directly, which would be unthinkable with this lens under a clear sky.  We're hoping an imminent Pacific storm will clear much of the smoke away by Saturday.  Cheers,  John

Hope you keep your respiratory organs intact, John!  The image looks ominously beautiful.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2020, 17:16:26 »
Shot in Shunjuku, Tokyo.

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2020, 18:00:44 »
>Hope you keep your respiratory organs intact, John!  The image looks ominously beautiful.
Thanks Akira!  Hopefully a few days of the smoke does me no great harm (at least compared to the urban coal smoke that hadn't quite disappeared when I was young, my self-inflicted campfire smoke, or the urban wood smoke that still settles over Seattle when we get a winter inversion).  A few minutes earlier, before the sun dipped into the cloud layer, the disk was clear enough to see that there really are no sunspots at the moment, which is a fun thing to see without a solar filter. (A view from above the smoke - https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/sunspots/).
Cheers again, John

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2020, 06:13:59 »
>Shot in Shunjuku, Tokyo.

Akira, forgive me if this was not your intent, but the dark sky and the grey, monolithic buildings give this a bit of a dystopian atmosphere ...

____

Today from me a photo from Hardwick's Hardware, which closes its doors tomorrow.  Classic kaleidoscopic bygone Seattle in the University district - the kind of store that surely turned kids into engineers, and sent experiments into space, or to the bottom of the ocean!  I thought the 14-24/2.8 would do well in the narrow aisles.  I think it worked, though this one showcases the drill bits more than the lens.  Cheers, John

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2020, 11:05:36 »
a photo from Hardwick's Hardware, which closes its doors tomorrow. 

Classic kaleidoscopic bygone Seattle in the University district - the kind of store that surely turned kids into engineers, and sent experiments into space, or to the bottom of the ocean!

What a gold mine John!

I remember places like that which used to keep me fascinated as a child and fed my enthusiasm for electronics.
Sadly the online versions won't have the knowledgeable guy behind the counter to asnwer questions :(

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2020, 11:50:20 »
Such a sad story behind such an interesting image - a veritable Aladdins Cave of tooling and other workshop goodies.

Unfortunately this is the same sad tale that has seen so many similar such hardware stores close their doors here in my part of the world (New Zealand and Australia).  Gone too are the experienced tradesmen come hardware store vendors that were actually able to give buyers the correct selection and usage advice.  The dumb arsed moves down here away from trades education being available for  our young people is even more lamentable.

Today from me a photo from Hardwick's Hardware, which closes its doors tomorrow.  Classic kaleidoscopic bygone Seattle in the University district - the kind of store that surely turned kids into engineers, and sent experiments into space, or to the bottom of the ocean!  I thought the 14-24/2.8 would do well in the narrow aisles.  I think it worked, though this one showcases the drill bits more than the lens.  Cheers, John
Hugh Gunn

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2020, 14:39:57 »
Sad story, this is also my interest tools for experiments food for imagination 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2020, 14:59:15 »

Akira, forgive me if this was not your intent, but the dark sky and the grey, monolithic buildings give this a bit of a dystopian atmosphere ...

John, the impression you received from  the image may not necessarily be out of focus (sorry, pun intended!).  I don't always feel positive to see those skyscrapers, especially when the area surrounding them is functionally not well designed.  The music is not all about happy love songs, so...

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2020, 15:56:24 »

____

That image makes me feel like a kid in a candy store, John! The demise of such places is like losing a close family member, very sad.

Carl

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2020, 19:45:45 »

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2020, 19:47:31 »
Steenwijk, September 18, old geezers hanging out..