Author Topic: Photoshop CC spits out "debug" file.  (Read 2992 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Photoshop CC spits out "debug" file.
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:50:26 »
When I processed the latest two DNG files from Sigma fp to the respective JPEG files in the latest version of Photoshop CC running on the latest version of Window 10 spitted out text files named "debug".  The first one had some texts in it (a bug report?), whereas the second one had no content.

The yielded JPEG files are intact and the process seemed to be just fine.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Photoshop CC spits out "debug" file.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 15:10:07 »
There are many reasons for PS to issue a debug file including pressing inadvertent some key combination.

However, there is a reported bug for the generation of random debug files and there is nothing to worry about besides the inconvenience.

The solution is to go back to a previous PS install or to simply delete the PS Pref file and restart PS.

I have the latest PS version installed but do not like to use it and prefer PS 2017 if it fails I go back to PS 2006.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 20:04:59 »
My personal method is to use the built-in Uninstaller before downloading and installing a new version of any of Adobe's programs from their ACC Cloud.

After I have installed the new version I always trash the existing Preferences before rebuilding a completely new set of Preferences. Then I Quit out of the application and relaunch it.

The only times when I have experienced the Generator error is when I have had more than one version of Ps activated at the same time; and, recently, when I had an Extension called "Doco" installed.

The very useful Doco is apparently not digitally signed correctly by its Developer so it will no longer run on more security-aware operating Systems (such as Catalina).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:27:04 »
Ann ant Ethan, thank you very much for your advises!

As the processing itself is of no problem, I will keep using it for the time being.  The "debug" file seems to be issued only at the first time a DNG file is opened, and I can keep processing the files without annoyance.

But I will uninstall/reinstall it at the next time of the update.

Thank you again!

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:33 »
My personal method is to use the built-in Uninstaller before downloading and installing a new version of any of Adobe's programs from their ACC Cloud.

After I have installed the new version I always trash the existing Preferences before rebuilding a completely new set of Preferences. Then I Quit out of the application and relaunch it.

The only times when I have experienced the Generator error is when I have had more than one version of Ps activated at the same time; and, recently, when I had an Extension called "Doco" installed.

The very useful Doco is apparently not digitally signed correctly by its Developer so it will no longer run on more security-aware operating Systems (such as Catalina).

I had a quick look. Do you recommend Doco?

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 10:41:22 »
Doco was a wonderful help (when it worked!) if one had multiple images open in separate tabs simultaneously.
It worked on a Mac up to Mojave but Catalina killed it; and I understand that it is now problematic in Windows as well.

Unfortunately its Developer seems to have lost interest in it because he has not updated it and doesn't respond to eMails either.

Until Doco gets updated, I can really not recommend it unless you intend to stay with an older OS.
Also, it does cost $10 with apparently no way of getting a refund if it doesn't run on your System.

:(

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:01 »
Doco was a wonderful help (when it worked!) if one had multiple images open in separate tabs simultaneously.
It worked on a Mac up to Mojave but Catalina killed it; and I understand that it is now problematic in Windows as well.

Unfortunately its Developer seems to have lost interest in it because he has not updated it and doesn't respond to eMails either.

Until Doco gets updated, I can really not recommend it unless you intend to stay with an older OS.
Also, it does cost $10 with apparently no way of getting a refund if it doesn't run on your System.

:(

Thank you

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 09:46:26 »
Just uninstalled the CC along with the remaining setting info and re-installed it.  It still issues debug files every time I process the DNG file.  :(

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 23:51:17 »
I replaced my 4.5 year-old main machine with the new Intel NUC with the 10th-gen. Core i7 10710U.  The Photoshop CC is thus totally clean-installed and has stopped issuing debug file.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 09:16:59 »
Another thing regarding ACR:

Latest upgrade doesn’t allow us to see the actual adjustment (camera references) like change the size of the file, or go from ProPhoto RGB to sRGB. If I like to finish my PP in ACR, now I can’t see how sharpening affect the downsampled file because it still show me the original size (If I transfer it to PS it shows the downsampled version - but often I don’t want to work in PS...). I would also like to se what happens to my file (burned out areas) when changing the color space.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 00:35:47 »
The solution is to go back to a previous PS install or to simply delete the PS Pref file and restart PS.

When PS is running fine it's a good idea to save the preference files in the pictures folder under "Photoshop Preference." I make a sub folder and give it a date. With a good set of preference files I don't have to setup PS the way I like it when the preference get messed up.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!