Author Topic: [Theme] Show Your Lightning Shots!  (Read 6081 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
[Theme] Show Your Lightning Shots!
« on: August 22, 2020, 12:51:44 »
Please share your lightning shots here!

These were shot on Aug. 22, 2020 in Tokyo.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: [Theme] Show Your Lightning Shots!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 15:51:33 »
Very nice set for starting a new theme! Brilliant  8)
Erik Lund

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 18:02:42 »
Literally brilliant :)...

Especially like how the lightening lights the clouds...
Tim Becraft

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 23:02:08 »
Lightning is a fascinating Nature Show. It can also be extremely dangerous.

Many years ago, in the film(!) era, I witnessed a spectacular thunderstorm arriving on the southern coast of Norway. Despite the pelting rain I went out on a small hill to get a perfect vantage point for my F2T with 25-50 Nikkor, and fired away. What I didn't notice as I was occupied looking into the finder was the storm front split up and one section made landfall outside my main viewing angle. All of a sudden the lightning bolt struck and splintered the pine tree (left side of photo) just 2-3 m away. This was such a momentary overload of my senses that I simply went blind and deaf. I slithered prone on the ground towards the summer cabin and left the camera on its tripod. All efforts were directed towards getting out of the danger zone. My eyesight returned during the next day, but I was deaf on one ear for months and still these many years later haven't fully recovered normal hearing.

I dried out the camera and the lens, and removed the film which still was dry. Afterwards it turned out that the blast of light had been so intense as to overexpose the film inside the camera to make it just a clear backing, except for the first 2-3 frames (I had shot about 35 frames at the time the lightning struck). So here it is.

Of course I paid for my carelessness in standing on the highest point ... thus no more shooting of lightning unless I'm indoors. A lesson to be remembered.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 06:09:01 »
Very nice set for starting a new theme! Brilliant  8)

Erik, thank you for the encouragement!

Literally brilliant :)...

Especially like how the lightening lights the clouds...

Thank you, Ashlandish!  Glad you like it.

Many years ago, in the film(!) era, I witnessed a spectacular thunderstorm arriving on the southern coast of Norway. Despite the pelting rain I went out on a small hill to get a perfect vantage point for my F2T with 25-50 Nikkor, and fired away. What I didn't notice as I was occupied looking into the finder was the storm front split up and one section made landfall outside my main viewing angle. All of a sudden the lightning bolt struck and splintered the pine tree (left side of photo) just 2-3 m away. This was such a momentary overload of my senses that I simply went blind and deaf. I slithered prone on the ground towards the summer cabin and left the camera on its tripod. All efforts were directed towards getting out of the danger zone. My eyesight returned during the next day, but I was deaf on one ear for months and still these many years later haven't fully recovered normal hearing.

I dried out the camera and the lens, and removed the film which still was dry. Afterwards it turned out that the blast of light had been so intense as to overexpose the film inside the camera to make it just a clear backing, except for the first 2-3 frames (I had shot about 35 frames at the time the lightning struck). So here it is.

Of course I paid for my carelessness in standing on the highest point ... thus no more shooting of lightning unless I'm indoors. A lesson to be remembered.

Birna, maybe I remember you mentioned your scary experience a couple of times here, but this should be the first time you've shared the image from it.  Ironically, the lightning image seems to be the most impressive when the experience is the most scary...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 06:21:42 »
These additional images were posted here in the past, but now that I've started this dedicated thread, I hope I'm allowed to post them here.

These were shot in August 2018 using my D750.  At that time, I shot an HD video at 30fps in order to capture the lightnings flashing randomly.  So, the resolution of these images are anly 2MP.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 06:32:47 »
These were shot in September 2019 using Fuji X-E3.  This was the first time I applied the method I had used to shoot fireworks: 20-30 second exposures with ISO set to the minimum (100 in this case).  The lens (Zeiss Touit 32mm/f1.8 ) was stopped down at f5.6.  So, the image quality was significantly better than the extracted JPEG frames from an HD video shot at ISO 6400.

During the shooting, the cumulonimbus was tens of kilometers away, so there was no danger.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 06:46:40 »
These are the most recent ones shot with Sigma fp with the kit lens 45mm/f2.8.

The first two images were shot in May 2020, and the last one, in July.  The lightning of the last image was so bright that the original RAW file looked as if it was hopelessly overexposed.  However, thanks to the Color Mode "OFF" setting that yields the straight-out-of-sensor data, I could recover the image very easily.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 08:24:10 »
Lots of impressive lightenings here!

Here is one with midnight sun, luckily cloud to cloud this time. The purple in the foreground is fireweeds following from lightening strikes and wildfires in the area a year or two before.
Øivind Tøien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:41 »
Great thread Akira.  Kudos to yourself, Birna, and Øivind.

Anyone from Singapore here?  Their light shows are most impressive.
Hugh Gunn

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 10:33:49 »
Spectacular views!
Akira: the Sigma FP seems like a very capable camera.
Birna: that must have been terrifying. Nature can be beautiful (as your photo shows) but also very dangerous. I am glad you survived.

Peter

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 19:15:35 »
---. I am glad you survived.

That makes two of us :)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 20:18:01 »

Shocking!
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 20:29:56 »
Lots of impressive lightenings here!

Here is one with midnight sun, luckily cloud to cloud this time. The purple in the foreground is fireweeds following from lightening strikes and wildfires in the area a year or two before.

This is a very dramatic image!  Thank you for sharing, Øivind!

Great thread Akira.  Kudos to yourself, Birna, and Øivind.

Anyone from Singapore here?  Their light shows are most impressive.

Thank you, Hugh!

Spectacular views!
Akira: the Sigma FP seems like a very capable camera.

Thank you, Peter!  Unlike the mainstream types of the cameras of other manufacturers, the fp is not an all-rounder.  But it serves me my shooting style very well.  It lacks a subtraction long-exposure noise reduction, but I haven't experienced any stuck pixel issue caused by the heat and I don't need to wait for the processing and keep shooting at the shutter speed set to 30 sec.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 14:16:48 »
This is from 3 yrs ago in Puerto Vallarta, shot from indoors I think we were on the 10th floor, at one of the nicest airbnb I've ever been
Composite of 3 images

Impressive story Birna  !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3