Author Topic: Is there anything similar to IrfanView that runs on Linux?  (Read 2062 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
The hard drive failed on my Laptop and so the rescue partition is gone. This computer was given to me probably because it was flaky.

I could not get Windows 10 to authenticate with the key on the bottom of the computer so I downloaded and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. The three programs I used most: Capture NX-D, Photoshop CS2 and IrfanView don't work on Linux.

I should mention that I shoot NEF only.

Any suggestions?

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Is there anything similar to IrfanView that runs on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:48:15 »
I haven't tried it but have heard that there's a Linux program called "WINE" that allows some windows programs to run, and I read that Faststone Image Viewer works under it.  Faststone has some pretty decent editing capabilities, more than Irfan, and can convert, resize etc. much as Irfan does.  It's more capable in some areas, but not as fast.  Though it also reads NEF files, it does not always get the brightness quite as close to the JPG default as Irfan does, but it's pretty easy to correct.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:19:27 »

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:35:13 »
Darktable and Gimp is similar to Lightroom and PS.
I run Ubuntu on some old PCs, and there’s a lot of different programs for image editing and storing.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:38:55 »
Photo Ninja runs perfectly under Linux (Mint 19.3 using the WINE wrapper). RawTherapee and Darktable are native Linux programs. So is Gimp, if you can adjust yourself to it :) My install of Monochrome2DNG likewise went smoothly. I tried to get PS-CS2 up and running, but the installation crashed. Same with CS6, which according to rumours should be OK.

Win10 has been a  very mixed blessing. Some upgrades went without hiccups, others on the exact same hardware did not. I had to revert to Win7 on my main work station as Win10 developed annoying issues - not being able to copy files, for example :( I also have had serious sound troubles on two different machines which thwarted my attempt to use either of them for video & net-based meetings. Scratched Win10 on one of these and installed Linux (Mint 19.3). All tasks thereafter sailed smoothly through, no more sound issues. Zoom and Teams installed perfectly and this is now my main resource for virtual meetings. The second Win10 box with sound issues has been demoted to a control box for remote teetering.  Those other machines that run Win10 without issues have been given a temporarily lease to continue doing so.

Why am I amazed over Microsoft's offerings, given their track record??

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 08:01:24 »
Thank you for all the responses. I'll begin checking these out soon.

I have Gimp installed. I'm disappointed that it doesn't have non-destructive adjustment layers. I used them frequently with Photoshop CS2.

Thank You!

Dave 

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 21:49:14 »
I forgot that Rawtherapee is a native Linux program.  I have that in the Windows version, and though I find I often use other things, it's pretty good and has a lot of features.  It's a little confusing at times because it often includes multiple ways to do the same things, and it's hard to decide sometimes what to do, but I'd put it on even if you find you prefer something else much of the time.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 07:34:48 »
I think I need a "Linux Mint for Dummies" book. I see a generic "Linux for Dummies." I thought it would be easy to use Time Shift to have a way back if I mess up but I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

I started with PCs with DOS 2.0 on Dec. 31, 1984 and with the help of web searches I've done OK with MAC OSX terminal. With Win7 and 10 I've used Macrium Reflect and with OSX I've used Time Machine to restore the respective operating systems and transfer them from HD(s) to SSD(s). Now I'm stumped.

I wonder if I should plow ahead and hope for the best or get a better understanding of Linux?

Dave Hartman
:

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 13:43:20 »
Just installed FastStone Iimage Viewer on my Linux (Mint 19.3) box. Installation and running it were a true breeze. Just accept the default suggestion that Wine program loader should handle the downloaded file and later, if desireable, click in the main menu to attach FastStone to the desktop panel. 

FastStone is free for non-commercial use.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 07:18:14 »
I seem to have installed wine-5.0.2 by following step by step instruction while understanding nothing. :)

Giving wine a spin will have to wait till tomorrow.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 06:15:31 »
I've installed FastStone Iimage Viewer and Notepad++ (Windows 32b version) and all seems well. I'll report back when I have some more experience. I'll have to do some reading in the FIV tutorial tomorrow. Then I'll need to read this full thread again.

Thank you all!

Dave Hartan

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 21:51:27 »
I have faststone image viewer running and I uploaded about 70 NEF files but faststone doesn't show all this NEF(s) in my pictures folder.

I'm out of time for a while. I'll try to get up to speed later.

Thank you all!

Dave