Author Topic: GPS Foolography draining camera battery (Nikon Z6)?  (Read 1059 times)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
GPS Foolography draining camera battery (Nikon Z6)?
« on: August 08, 2020, 00:52:21 »
I know that some of you are using the Foolography unleashed GPS units. I recently switched from the clunky Nikon GPS-1 to the Foolography unit.
So far so good - except that a fully charged EN-EL15a,b is completely drained within a week (camera switched off and unused, Bluetooth deactivated). I didn't have that issue with the Nikon GPS.
Any experience? Any camera settings I forgot to adjust?
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: GPS Foolography draining camera battery (Nikon Z6)?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 06:38:48 »
With a properly set up camera, the Foolography device should cause negligible drain on the camera's batttery.

No Z camera available (travelling right now) so cannot check. Cannot remember the GPS made an excessive drain for these cameras though, but their batteey performance are miles behind that of my Df which goes on "for ever" with its permanently attached GPS.

Do visit the Foolography site and searh for info there, or ask them.

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
Re: GPS Foolography draining camera battery (Nikon Z6)?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 11:34:51 »
My UNLEASHED sucked my D800 with EN-EL18 empty within 4 days. Got it replaced because of other failures, the new one needs 2 weeks to empty the EN-EL18!
Oliver, CEO from Foolography, wrote on their site that the UNLEASHED NEVER goes completely to sleep and gives some good reasons why.
Guess we have to live with it...