Author Topic: Darn you, Dr. R........(another non-moldy, oldie)  (Read 1275 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Darn you, Dr. R........(another non-moldy, oldie)
« on: July 27, 2020, 22:06:38 »
There is a wonderful online site that reviews old Nikkors and cameras. (Whoops. That's how I ended up here.)

I picked up an 80-200/4.5/MF, late 70's serial number in near mint condition. After a quick flashlight test & external cleaning, the 40 year old bugger looks darn good. (16mp.)

The focus is smooth and weighted perfect. The push-pull doesn't' creep. It down right flops both directions.

If I carefully pull back the knurled rubber.grip, are there screws and bushings that I can realign and tighten, possibly getting a bit of friction back?

Or is the shoddy method of adding a piece of tape under the ring, (I am aware what can happen,) an easier attempt?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Darn you, Dr. R........(another non-moldy, oldie)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 22:38:16 »
Nice lens to work on, Rick has documented it here;
https://richardhaw.com/2018/04/01/repair-zoom-nikkor-80-200mm-f-4-5/
Just replace felt and use good quality lens grease for the helicoid
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 03:58:34 »

Or is the shoddy method of adding a piece of tape under the ring, (I am aware what can happen,) an easier attempt?
Could one use a large diameter piece of heat-shrink tubing, tightly shrunk around the barrel?
 I once bought a KEH "Bargain" grade Nikon 80-200/4 AiS that was---surprisingly---in really good condition, as if it had recently been fully serviced and restored. I can recommend the 80-200/4 based on my sample.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 05:21:10 »
This lens does not have any paint loss on the aperture lever. It's that clean. I have the early 2.8 AF version and this isn't a whole lot lighter.

For $34, I'm tickled pink. Back in film days, I used a Series 1 variant, (with digital, the colors and chroma are not good..)

Thanks

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:50:01 »
Could one use a large diameter piece of heat-shrink tubing, tightly shrunk around the barrel?

No - will not work. It's not difficult to replace the felt ;)
Erik Lund

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 13:36:25 »
Edit;
Pluton may be right about the f4 version. If it is as sharp at 4 as mine at 4.5, I'd be a happy boy.

Chuckle

Where I live, a store that sells sewing/craft needs has been closed since spring. At the moment, it might as well need "The Golden Fleece,"

Last year I purchased the newer 70-300/af-p/FX and dumped the previous version. IMHO, I am shooting 14 bit raw with a lens capable of an 8 bit color range. It handles like a cheap, plastic (no weight,) "marshmellow." I honestly hate this lens. (And I paid less than half retail.)

And the laughable point....... & stretch the numbers....." Here is a guy that buys a $3K camera body to use with 30 dollar, 40 year old lenses."