Author Topic: Nikon Repairs  (Read 1951 times)

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Repairs
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:57:03 »
Hi, I purchaised a Nikon Z6 just over a year ago, and only really used it indoors a few times, and once or twice outdoors. The rubber flaps for the ports expanded, so no longer sat flush sealing the ports, which I sent in to be serviced and replaced at Nikon UK, but they've given me a £526 bill for repairs, including replacing the rubber grip, and main PCB. The camera was pristine when i sent it in, like the rubber grip.

Is it possible they've mixed my estimate with another camera? Does this kind known to happen? Did I purchaise lemon and not realise?

Kind of in shock here.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 13:06:54 »
Replacing the main PCB indicates far more serious damage to the camera than a loose-fitting door seal .... Maybe water or impact damage?

Ask them to deliver the repair log and the PCB they claimed had to be replaced.

By the way, if these sealing flaps have expanded that would hint at extensive use of the camera. In fact, in the years I have used my various Z cameras on a regular basis, it never has happened.

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 13:30:45 »
Replacing the main PCB indicates far more serious damage to the camera than a loose-fitting door seal .... Maybe water or impact damage?

Ask them to deliver the repair log and the PCB they claimed had to be replaced.

By the way, if these sealing flaps have expanded that would hint at extensive use of the camera. In fact, in the years I have used my various Z cameras on a regular basis, it never has happened.
The camera lived in a well padded bag with silica to soak up mosture, never been near water, used very occationally, the rubber grip was pristine so it's odd they want to replace it, which is why i'm hoping they have mixed it up with another body, possibly becaue of a shortage of staff during the pandeming.

So, it's not heard of that they mix up bodies, or make mistakes? I have a warrenty for manufacturer defects, but this makes it look like i'm a heavy user as you stated, and careless.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 14:16:54 »
Was the Z6 new when you purchased it?

We get 2 year warranties on new cameras here in Australia.
Hugh Gunn

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 15:00:06 »
Was the Z6 new when you purchased it?

We get 2 year warranties on new cameras here in Australia.
Yep, brand new. It was perfectly functional when I sent it in, it was just the rubber flaps wouldn't form a perfect seal which Mike G posted about 15 messages down on this forum (and the reason for my joining the forum). It was boxed and sent in 2 weeks later. I put screen protectors on day one, and even painters tape over the most vulnerable parts of the grip because i read Nikon rubber was vulnerable yet the rubber grip unit is listed as needing to be replaced, it was immaculate as far as I could see, and lived in a bag with silica to keep moisture away which i tought may be responsible for expanding the flaps. I really don't get how the I/O would get damaged in 2 weeks, living on my desk while using it to learn about the menu system durin Grey's of Westminister's live stream tutorials. It didn't form a complete seal, but my room is not under water or in a dust storm, let alone the long list of 8 items. It doesn't sound like my camera, but they do mention the flaps.

1) GRIP RUBBER UNIT, 2) MEDIA LID / COVER UNIT, 3) IF COVER UNIT, 4) DIOPTER ADJUSTMENT KNOB COVER, 5) MICROPHONE UNIT, 6) MICROPHONE CONNECTOR COVER, 7) USB CONNECTOR COVER, 8) MAIN PCB UNIT W/BATTERY.

If it's my camera, I'll pay it, but gosh it's hard to make sense of it when there's no context as to how it ended up in this state, and fear that I could end up at the same point again in 12 months. I wanted to get back into photography to relax me. :)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 15:05:08 »
Ask to make sure the serial number matches your camera.
Could it be damaged during shipment?

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 15:18:05 »
Ask to make sure the serial number matches your camera.
Could it be damaged during shipment?
That's a good Idea. I will ask them when they call, but because they mention the flaps, I fear the worse. I didn't think about shipping, I put it in the orginal camera box, with a little newspaper to cushion it, but i suppose it's possible, would have been a hell of a ride.

jborg

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 18:27:16 »
Hello to everybody,
I am rather new to this nice forum.
I do not own a Z (just D700). As an engineer my hard guess looking at the picture is overheat from defective Li-Ion battery.
You can get so heavily inflated flaps from very high temperature and the only source of undue heat might be the battery, but in such case they should have immediately spotted the problem (a defective battery, with one or more elements in short tends to inflate). Overheating and even spill of liquid from the battery might have caused damage to the main board?

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 21:05:37 »
To judge it by the pics, there is nothing wrong with those flaps. I am putting the upper parts of the flaps to its space, as well as downer parts. Then, with 2 fingers on the middle small hatchback, pressing it to its space, until a little click is heard. If it isn't fully set, help it with one more pressing! Good luck!  LZ

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 16:03:51 »
Hello to everybody,
I am rather new to this nice forum.
I do not own a Z (just D700). As an engineer my hard guess looking at the picture is overheat from defective Li-Ion battery.
You can get so heavily inflated flaps from very high temperature and the only source of undue heat might be the battery, but in such case they should have immediately spotted the problem (a defective battery, with one or more elements in short tends to inflate). Overheating and even spill of liquid from the battery might have caused damage to the main board?
Hello there Jborg, and welcome!

Nikon's rep. got back to me, apparently the "audio processing/audio recording" malfunctioned, damaging the main PCB unit w/battery, and microphone unit, the other associated repairs appear to be from dismantling the camera. Their email was very vague.

I examined my batteries, and they look to be in good condition, no leaks, and i do keep them at around 50% when in long term storage, but I'm going to ask if that could potentially be a cause, so thank you for your input, I'll also ask them to rule out my XQD. Just in case, so I don't end up here again in a few months.

All things considered this utter catastrophic meltdown is perfect for 2020!  haha ;D

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 16:18:06 »
To judge it by the pics, there is nothing wrong with those flaps. I am putting the upper parts of the flaps to its space, as well as downer parts. Then, with 2 fingers on the middle small hatchback, pressing it to its space, until a little click is heard. If it isn't fully set, help it with one more pressing! Good luck!  LZ
Hey LZ, believe me, I tried every combo over 2 days. Apparently the "audio processing/audio recording" malfunctioned according to Nikon, which damaged other components, going by Jborg's comment, perhaps the heat inflated the flaps. I imagine Nikon are streched during lockdown, so I have to be patient with getting the details.

Thanks for the well wishing LZ, much appreciated.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 16:24:27 »
iSaff,
I am confused why did Nikon UK not cover the repair under warranty?
Bez

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 13:47:51 »
Exactly.

We get two year factory warranties here in Australia.  iSaff should not have to pay anything.

iSaff,
I am confused why did Nikon UK not cover the repair under warranty?
Hugh Gunn

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 14:04:12 »
If a repair is not under warranty they should not just repair it and send an invoice but get back with a repair offer you can accept or deny......and then maybe a small fee if offer is denied.
I always make that kind of agreement of front. I think it is normal procedure. No one will just say......repair it.....and let us see what it cost at the end.