Author Topic: Why I switched from Godox to Profoto  (Read 1079 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Why I switched from Godox to Profoto
« on: July 21, 2020, 15:24:03 »
Since most people write about switching from Profoto (or alike) to Godox, I. thought t write a brief post about switching the other way.

First and foremost, I must day that I used my Godox flashes with great satisfaction. However there were a few things that annoyed me:

1. The complexity of the menu system. I don't like reading user manuals, partly because I forget what I've read in a manual quickly. Godox's menu system is complex.
2. For firmware upgrades, software is needed that only runs in Windows.
3. The system occasionally and randomly failed me: Flash did not fire and changing the flash power did not work. On one shoot (fortunately a free-of-charge environmental portrait session) I only brought the AD200 and it did not work. Whatever I tried: nothing. When I got back home, it worked again. Fortunately this occurred only once.

I really thought that it was my ignorance that caused the 3rd problem. However, I recently read about a wedding photographer who experienced the same issues. I tried to find his article but couldn't't find it. When I do, I will add a link. Reading this made me decide to sell my Godox AD600pro, AD200 and V1 flashes as well as triggers and replace it with the Profoto B10plus, A1X andC1plus.

Although I still have to test thoroughly, I am amazed by the simplicity of the system. Very easy and intuitive to use. The app is straightforward too.

A bonus is the ability to use the C1plus and B10plus with the iPhone. While using the B10 with an iPhone does not make much sense to me, using the C1 does make a lot of sense. It is very easy to use.

Hopefully I will be able to post some photos shortly.

I am curious what your view/experience is!

PS: No, (unfortunately) I am not paid by Profoto to write this ;-)
Peter