Author Topic: Z5, an entry level full frame body on its way  (Read 6706 times)

PEL

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z5, an entry level full frame body on its way
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 23:47:37 »
Is there a possibility that this FSI sensor will work better than the BSI in Z6 for infrared conversion? Any thoughts?

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 00:14:12 »
This camera really intrigues me. I am not sure why they call it an entry model.

There has previously been speculation that a true low-end FX Z model with no EVF, a smaller body, and no IBIS will be released at some point.  This could yet happen, and such a camera presumably would have only one card slot.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 00:27:16 »
Same here Ian - and I already have 2 Fuji's and 4 lenses..
5he Z50 catches my eye, but no IBIS or fast lenses. I’m wondering how it stacks up against the Z5.
Carl

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 00:35:59 »
To me there is no ooint in buying the Z5 when the Z6 can be bought for similar amount of gold/pennies/etc.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 01:44:37 »
Maybe there is a Z6s on the way at a higher price point?  ;D

To me there is no ooint in buying the Z5 when the Z6 can be bought for similar amount of gold/pennies/etc.
Hugh Gunn

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:19 »

What’s another $1000, Eh?
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 02:03:50 »

Thom Hogan is (quite reasonably) speculating that the Z6 and Z7 will move upmarket, with dual card slots and other improvements, to better space out the models.  That would be a good outcome.  Here's my wish list for these two cameras:

-Pixel shift
-Second card slot (XQD and CF Express are really good, but SD is still the all-purpose card that you can stick directly into many computers without a separate reader)
-Better focus stacking (could be done via firmware update for existing models)
-Better battery grip

I'm still really happy with my Z6 as a compact go-anywhere full-frame camera.  If I later buy a Z7 II or a Z8 as a high-resolution landscape camera then I'll have a nice pair of Z bodies for different purposes.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 02:45:56 »
Strongly agree - the dual SD Card slots of the Z5 are a smart choice on the part of Nikon.  Wish my Z6 had them.

-Second card slot (XQD and CF Express are really good, but SD is still the all-purpose card that you can stick directly into many computers without a separate reader)
Hugh Gunn

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:21:30 »
So you were basically just missing the  narrower DOF of the faster lenses?
Yes
But you have to try with S lenses also

chambeshi

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 09:30:27 »
A New website dedicated to Z System - complimenting his sansmirror site

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/welcome-to-z-system-user.html

Thom Hogan is (quite reasonably) speculating that the Z6 and Z7 will move upmarket, with dual card slots and other improvements, to better space out the models.  That would be a good outcome.  Here's my wish list for these two cameras:

-Pixel shift
-Better focus stacking (could be done via firmware update for existing models)
-Better battery grip

I'm still really happy with my Z6 as a compact go-anywhere full-frame camera.  If I later buy a Z7 II or a Z8 as a high-resolution landscape camera then I'll have a nice pair of Z bodies for different purposes.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 00:33:54 »
I’m hoping Oivind gets a Z50 and tries out his 12-24 on it!  8)
Carl

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 02:55:50 »
While I eyed Z50 as a possible companion to the D500/300PF (taking place of my AW-1 which often goes along on day hikes as a wider, easily accessible and rugged camera - the zoom is excellent), I felt yet another battery type and lack of remote connector was too much of a drawback. If the Z50 does not have a lowpass filter, there is no reason it should perform much differently image wise than on the D500 as the sensor is essentially the same. However the handling might not be optimal with the 12-24mm/FTZ. It would not be that small adorable package as with the kit lens.

The Z5 could be more interesting but I really want to see how prices are dropping along with other bodies being upgraded and the system fills out before possibly jumping in, as it is a question what optics one would want in addition to the kit lens. With Covid-19 around there is really no hurry - with a bigger second wave going on here it does not look like I will be doing any important travel for quite some time. My around the neighborhood captures lately have been >90% with the D500/300PF combination.
Øivind Tøien

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 21:02:05 »
While I eyed Z50 as a possible companion to the D500/300PF (taking place of my AW-1 which often goes along on day hikes as a wider, easily accessible and rugged camera - the zoom is excellent), I felt yet another battery type and lack of remote connector was too much of a drawback. If the Z50 does not have a lowpass filter, there is no reason it should perform much differently image wise than on the D500 as the sensor is essentially the same. However the handling might not be optimal with the 12-24mm/FTZ. It would not be that small adorable package as with the kit lens.

The Z5 could be more interesting but I really want to see how prices are dropping along with other bodies being upgraded and the system fills out before possibly jumping in, as it is a question what optics one would want in addition to the kit lens. With Covid-19 around there is really no hurry - with a bigger second wave going on here it does not look like I will be doing any important travel for quite some time. My around the neighborhood captures lately have been >90% with the D500/300PF combination.

You make some good points, Oivind.

Looking deeper, our little Z50 is priced very close to the new Z5, and IMO. the Z5 is over priced, so we will see a discount on that Z5 before long. On top of that, who knows what Black Friday pricing will offer? Sure, I'd rather have a Z6-24-70 combo, but I'm not wanting to drop an extra $1000 to get one.

The Z5 does both FX and DX, although I'm in the dark WRT how various F mount lenses function with the FTZ between them and the Z body. That's a consideration for me since my gear is mostly DX, with a small amount of F amount lenses in my bag left over from my film days. One could use the 12-24 on an FX body if they gave up the wider capabilities. How would that play out withe 12-24 mounted to an FTZ? IOW, I don't even know what I don't know about moving into the Z world. Maybe the Z50 is a better choice for me if I did move up to Z, but the lack of IBIS gives me pause as my vision and balance get worse with age.

Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:23 »
Z50 might not have IBIS, but its handling is pretty good so easy to support the camera steadily.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 12:49:24 »
nikon is smart by not selling this at the same time as the others.
people would just buy this instead :o :o :o