Author Topic: Native TC 1.4 & 2X for Z lenses  (Read 3291 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Native TC 1.4 & 2X for Z lenses
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:00:58 »
At last, the Z system has got its own, native teleconverters. Nikon indicates they had the 70-200/2.8 S as the first targeted lens for use with these TCs. However, the already launched 120-300/.8 Nikkor S should be a hot candidate for these new converters as well. They have a proment, protruding neck and hence will not fit most of the existing Z lenses, but I see the design as an indication future long lenses will be fully compatible with them.

The design involves aspherical element(s), fluorine coating and some strongly curved elements.Nikon assured me virtually noi loss of image quality eas to be expected with the 70-200 and the 1.4X, perhaps slightly less perfect with the 2X.

The build is very robust and weather sealing is claimed to be to the highest standard.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Native TC 1.4 & 2X for Z lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:25 »
At least Nikon didn't make their 70-200/2.8 incompatible with TCs like Canon did.

However, the 120-300/2.8 is an F-mount lens and probably should be used with F-mount TCs (I'm not saying these won't be compatible via the FTZ but I'd be a little surprised if they are).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:52:44 »
I stand corrected regarding the 120-300 :( Putting a Z TC on the F version will be impossible or robbing the lens of its quality, unless Nikon already had considered the possibility in the design of the 120-300.

However, there are long lenses on the Z Roadmap, thus I assume they will be compatible with the native TC's.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 16:59:51 »
At least Nikon didn't make their 70-200/2.8 incompatible with TCs like Canon did.

you're not serious are you :o :o :o

that's a damn stupid move by C ::)
i wonder what the reason could be.

the Z tcs surprises me since i assume that they will just stick to the F mount ones.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 18:36:39 »
you're not serious are you :o :o :o

I am. It is stated in the specifications that the lens is not compatible with extenders.

that's a damn stupid move by C ::)
i wonder what the reason could be.

They made the RF 70-200 really compact at 70mm (it's an extending zoom) and to achieve that, the rear elements are close to the sensor. There is no space for the front of the TC to go inside the lens. I suppose if they could have achieved a similar compactness and image quality with a design that can use TCs, they would have.

I ordinarily find Canon pretty sensible in their optics, but here I think they may have made a miscalculation. I suspect people will start asking for a new version compatible with extenders. The 600/11 I understand even less....

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 16:01:09 »
Specifications including MTFs (coupled with 70-200)

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_tc_14x/spec.htm

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_tc_2x/spec.htm

Compare the MTF of the 70-200 f2.8S
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_70-200mmf28_vr_s/spec.htm

I thought I'd never buy a 70-200 zoom. I used one for a while on a Canon and it was a pain to haul around so I stuck to fixed focus like the 180 f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 AI-s (turned out to be a bit heavy too...). But the images I get from the Z6 with kit lens and 14-30mm zoom make me seriously consider adding a 70-200 and TC. It would cover a large percentage of everything I do.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:05 »
Couldn't it be possible to use the Z-Teleconverters on F-mount tele lenses with the FTZ Adapter in between?
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 12:01:39 »
Technically speaking this ought to work. However, there is no guarantee the results are good enough due to the potential optical mismatch.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 19:25:55 »
Technically speaking this ought to work. However, there is no guarantee the results are good enough due to the potential optical mismatch.

I fully agree - I consider it as connectible but the outcome may vary between good and inferior. But I am sure sooner or later somebody will test it out.
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 19:50:25 »
Of course, I'll be experimenting with these new TCs immediately when I can lay my hands on them :)

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:37 »
Thom Hogan states that Nikon advises the FTZ will not work on the new Z mount TCs.  https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/answer-from-nikon.html

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:13:14 »
Couldn't it be possible to use the Z-Teleconverters on F-mount tele lenses with the FTZ Adapter in between?

In Brad Hill's blog (http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html) he writes about the 180-400:

"it seems to work extremely well with the TC-14EIII (1.4x) teleconverter (a bit to early to say this with full certainty, but I suspected it would work as well with the TC-14EIII as the 180-400 works with its built-in TC - and it appears that is the case)."

The built-in TC fits between some rear elements, while the TC-14EIII obviously fits behind the lens. This suggests the placement of the TC along the optical path is not too critical - for this lens at least. So if it the Z TCs is mechanically compatible with the FTZ, it could work equally well as the F-mount TCs. But of course impossible to say with certainty without actually trying :)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 05:19:17 »

Perhaps vignetting problems since the Z-TC it is so close to the sensor and F lenses would potentially have rear elements further away from the Z-TC than Z-lenses?
Øivind Tøien

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 08:25:34 »
I did not take into account that the FT-Z has got this reduced rectangle inside. So it depends on the protruding TC-elements diameter - I considered this as rather narrow but after looking up the picture again I am not too sure. It might as well turn out to be mechanically incompatible. (Fortunately it is no problem with the old non-Retrofocus design Fisheyes)
Wolfgang Rehm