Author Topic: 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 ai-s!  (Read 989 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 ai-s!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 17:52:34 »
Thank you for this nice work on the 35-105mm ;)
I was very happy with this lens and the F4, but, alas, sold it in time. Might try to find another one for the Df...
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 00:46:08 »
There is a Nikon 1001 nights article on this lens: https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0071/index.htm

As far as I know, the optics of the AI-S version is unchanged through the AF and AF (new) versions.

There is also an AF-D version which has different optics - this one has a hybrid aspheric lens, IF focusing, and focuses closer (0.85m instead of 1.4m) but has no macro mode.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:11:12 »
The lens I love to hate.  I always found it ergonomically annoying.  Mine had terrible zoom creep, the wide-only macro setting seemed backwards to me, and it was wildly non-parfocal, so that any slight shift of the zoom would put it out of focus.  And, of course, being variable-aperture meant that it was a bit inconvenient on any camera without auto exposure.  That said, I used it for a long time as my standard walk-around lens, because it was a good range, and decently sharp, and I have grudgingly to admit that it usually produced rather nice images.  Certainly worth a buck!