Author Topic: Neowise Comet  (Read 1574 times)

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
Neowise Comet
« on: July 15, 2020, 18:13:23 »
Neowise Comet  anyone getting any shots? https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise
Here is my try from last night. Think I'm going to try again tonight.

Ken Smith

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: Neowise Comet
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 19:00:37 »
Good one, Ken.

I did post one in the July 2020 thread, answer 93 page 7. Your sky is better than mine :), always a bit hazy here.
If the weather forecast is correct, I'll try again on Monday.
Bruno Schröder

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 20:01:30 »
It's in my plans but there seem to be nothing but cloudy skies in prospect for the window of opportunity in NW England.  >:(
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 17:29:16 »
Wednesday night was quite clear for Seattle, giving excellent viewing.  For these I used the 300 mm f/4 on a small star tracker, allowing me to expose for 20 seconds.  I found that not much was gained going beyond that - the extended tail of the comet showed too little contrast against the light of the city sky.  Against a darker sky I think the tail would nearly fill the frame of the 300 mm, about 8 degrees.
The first photo is lightly processed, the second stretched a bit in Photoshop to roughly equalize the R,G, and B channels in the coma and make the background sky closer to black.
Cheers,  John

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 23:01:31 »
 Nice Shots beryllium10  :)

Tried again last night.
This was at 2:30 am Pacific Time this morning.
Ken Smith

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:29:07 »

Thanks for posting these Brute and beryllium 10!
No dark here yet, and with the comet weakening, I am not sure if dark will catch up in time.
Øivind Tøien

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:18:18 »
It's been pretty good here in the last couple of days.  I got out last night but didn't do too well owing to inability to get precise focus.  I did a little better tonight by hunting down my old 85/1.8 manual lens, which has a nice hard infinity stop, and is fast enough not to elongate the stars too much.  The D7100 is still a little noisy at night, but at least I can say yes, there was a comet.  Unfortunately, fumbling in the dark with various different ISO settings, I managed to switch it from Raw to JPG, which ticks me off,  but oh well.