Author Topic: Capture NX-D version 1.6.1 stops with no error messages just after starting  (Read 2060 times)

frederikboving

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • frederikboving
Hi, in my attempt to fix some chromatic aberration with the 28-105 lens, I installed the Capture ND-D software on my PC. It runs win 10.0.18363. When I start the Capture NX-D app, it starts up and says "loading folders", then it reaches 100% and dies. No error message. Has anyone tried the same? Have tried to run in compatibility mode for various former versions of windows + run it with administrator rights. Same result. I can start other parts of the package like the "picture control utility" with no problems.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
You mean Capture NX-D?

Apparently the latest version either of NX-D or Win10 or both has made the initial loading of files from networked resources extremely slow. The program can hang up to 30-40 seconds, or more, before the image pops up. If you access local files there is no delay and next time you run NX-D, the loading is very fast.

My NX-D is 1.5.3. Perhaps the remote file issue has gotten worse in the newest version?

I downloded and installed the laest 1.6.2 on another Win10 box, no problems with local files there either. (I'm off my local network right now so cannoit check accessiility of remote files)

frederikboving

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • frederikboving
Hi, I believe I have asked Windows update to go ahead with all updates. When I start the NX-D Capture app it looks like it is using the "pictures" file on the local drive to start up, so I doubt it is because of network slowness. And the app dies and does not appear on the task list - it is gone! If I start the "picture control utility" that came with the package, then no problems at all. I will probably have to un-install it.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
It's been a while, but one update of NX-D messed up for me on Win 10,  and did more or less the same thing, and I was able to fix it by installing it from an administrator account.  If, like most people, you are our own administrator, your regular account includes most but not all of the characteristics of a full administrator account, but the differences are not made clear.  If you're a Win 10 guru you could probably figure out what they are and tweak the permissions and whatnot, but the easiest thing I found to do was to go to the dashboard and set up an administrator account.  When I log on, the menus and whatnot are different, and when I reinstalled NX-D from that account, it worked again. Subsequent updates haven't had the same problem but it's a handy thing to have that account there anyway.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Frederik: uninstall NX-D, then download and install the latest version 1.6.2 from Nikon. Something has been royally screwed here but what (or whom) is unclear.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I run NX-D 1.6.2 and it runs fine (64 bit Win10 version). I think I have latest Win10 updates included the new Edge browser (dark blue, blue, light blue, green colors in icon)
When you start NX-D first time then try right click on a raw file in a folder and then use "open with" and select NX-D. Then you ensure that NX-D only look at files it should be able to handle.

frederikboving

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • frederikboving
Thank you all for the tips. I removed the Capture NX-D and re-installed it running the setup software with administrator rights. Now it all works as a charm!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
All is well that ends well :)

The world of Windows can be pretty obscure and obtuse at times.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Deleting the Capture NX-D cache files might fix the problem.

Uninstalling Capture NX-D and reinstalling it shouldn't be too painful and might fix the problem.

It's been a while since I have had any problems with CNX-D.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!