Author Topic: How can I digitize Slides with the D850 and the old AF Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8  (Read 2136 times)

f4-fan

• NG Member
  • Camera Moralia - Digicams for social justice!
    • Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...
I want to digitize Slides with the D850 and the AF Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8.

What are the best, quickest and cheapest options, to generate usable RAW-Files?

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany
Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Something like this I guess:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37453-REG/Nikon_3213_ES_1_Slide_Copying_Adapter.html

....if you don't have a PB-6 bellows with slide copy attachment.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
You could also just use a light table and make a repro-setup.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Maybe some inspiration from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPuOwoT7iPs

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
The ES-1 is the simplest, smallest solution. You will have to improvise a light source, which is usually not a problem for experienced photographers
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jacques

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
If you can ignore the clutter on my desk you can see my set up, the D850 is fitted with a current 60 mm lens, this combination is mounted on a copy stand but a tripod would work, I raise the rear screen to a vertical position, switch on live view, this way I can sit at my desk and copy my transparencies, I use a wireless remote to fire the shutter, a standard light box provides the illumination. This image is a large crop from another image.

A.Jacks

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Probably a late reply but I strongly recommend a copy stand over a tripod due to alignment difficulties. Pentax made a simple but very functional one in the '70s. For a light source one might use a par of flash down on a piece of what paper or color corrected light table or a dicronic color enlarger head.

A Nikon PB6 bellows with a slide copy attachment and flash might cost more but it is an excellent setup. One could mount the bellows on a tripod and diffused flash on a light stand or another tripod.

Electronic release is an excellent shutter release method. I use the Phottix Strato II wireless flash system. They are an older design so one might survey what is currently available. I  find the test button on the Strato II  very precise for a shutter release.

These are my thoughts on the topic

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

ianwatson

It is good to see you back, Dave.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, Dave, glad to hear from you!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Thanks guys!

I didn't have internet at home for about 18-24 months. Then my laptop's HD died. Now the laptop is up with an SSD. I could not authenticate Window 10 so a few days ago I installed Linux Mint 20, Cinnamon. It's a long story.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!