Author Topic: Flip / mirror an image  (Read 4592 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Flip / mirror an image
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:21:19 »
I am looking for a function in NX-D that can mirror an image. It does not exist?
It is an old printed image that was processed reversed I want to flip.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Flip / mirror an image
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:56:24 »
Photoshop and other imaging processing software have such functionality -- why bother in the RAW converter? Surely, NX-D cannot be the end station for your image.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:37 »
So far NX-D has been the end station. Now NX-D has got "color control points" which I liked in NX2.
I used this online app: resizepixel.com to do the mirror.......it seems to work.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 20:05:00 »
There must be something here I don't understand. So you are using NX-D to process NEFs to TIFs, then no further processing/editing/resizing etc. is applied? Then the NEF + TIF seem quite overkill and going directly to a jpg made in-camera would suffice.

Correct me if I got the wrong end of the handle on this.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 20:28:21 »
There must be something here I don't understand. So you are using NX-D to process NEFs to TIFs, then no further processing/editing/resizing etc. is applied? Then the NEF + TIF seem quite overkill and going directly to a jpg made in-camera would suffice.

Two things. I recommend free IrfanView to do things like flip, resize, batch rename etc. It is quite useful.

Though it may be incomprehensible to Birna, it has been common for me to do simple processing (adjusting framing, colors, exposure etc.) in NX-D and outputting a final jpg. These are better than doing in camera.
95% of my work just requires those basic things, and in-camera jpgs are not sufficient. I expect that more than just MEPER and I have a similar workflow.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 22:44:24 »
There must be something here I don't understand.
So you are using NX-D to process NEFs to TIFs .....

...going directly to a jpg made in-camera would suffice

Just to add that like MEPER and Jack i shoot in RAW and use NX-D to apply edits, crops, colour control points, resize etc then save a jpg version for posting online, getting prints done etc.

I never get involved in TIFFs.

Very occasionally, i use Adobe tools, but generally keep other PP to a minimum.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 23:53:14 »
If you just want to flip an already done JPG, Irfanview is probably quickest, since it does so from the initial viewing page.  Other programs with a bit more processing power that also flip include Faststone Image Viewer, Photoscape X Pro, and Raw Therapee.  Faststone works nicely but does not always read Raw files accurately, and if you try shooting in very low key, for example, it will make a mess trying to compensate.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:43 »
--
Though it may be incomprehensible to Birna, it has been common for me to do simple processing (adjusting framing, colors, exposure etc.) in NX-D and outputting a final jpg.  --

Exactly the reason why I asked in the first place. So thanks for the heads-up. It all might boil down to what images subsequently are used for, which for me is submitting to photo library/ies or other clients.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 03:36:18 »
Exactly the reason why I asked in the first place. So thanks for the heads-up. It all might boil down to what images subsequently are used for, which for me is submitting to photo library/ies or other clients.

If you're ending up with JPG but don't want to compress the file twice, you could save from Capture NX-D in Tiff.  Irfan can read and write nearly any format, except it can't write NEF, so you can wait until the last minute for any compression.

If you do use one of those programs, make sure you have the maximum quality options set.  Irfan and some others have various choices not only for quality but algorithm.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 08:00:56 »

I use NX-D to perform the basic adjustments (from NEF to JPEG).
If NX-D knows the lens it can do some auto-corrections like geometric distorsion / CA. Then I use curves, crop, sharpen and sometimes D-light (if is ofte too "aggressive"). I like that NX-D is a very simple tool, is free and can do the basic editing.

The reason to ask about flip/mirror was that I did some hand hold repro from and old family photo album and one the the old images was processed "mirrored". Then I think I might have overlooked that function in NX-D. Before NX-D I used NX2 and it was a setback when the first version of NX-D was released. But now NX-D has got some nice features as well. It is a bit slow.....but I live with that.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 08:02:12 »
If you're ending up with JPG but don't want to compress the file twice, you could save from Capture NX-D in Tiff.  Irfan can read and write nearly any format, except it can't write NEF, so you can wait until the last minute for any compression.

If you do use one of those programs, make sure you have the maximum quality options set.  Irfan and some others have various choices not only for quality but algorithm.

Thank you.....I will have a look at Irfan.......have never heard about it! :-)

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 10:06:10 »
FastStone Image Viewer is my favorite quick and nimble image editor — despite the ’viewer’ in its name it has plenty of useful features.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 18:52:52 »
FastStone Image Viewer is my favorite quick and nimble image editor — despite the ’viewer’ in its name it has plenty of useful features.
Yes, my favo too. Fast and Usefull.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 19:06:25 »
1 more for FastStone Image Viewer

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 19:19:05 »
I will have have a look at FastStone also.

If a Nikon lens is used with CPU contacts can these 3rd party image editors perform the same corrections from a RAW image as NX-D can do?
I am thinking of the auto corrections like geometric distortion and CA?

It seems when a new Nikon lens is released there is also an update to NX-D for this purpose?