Author Topic: Nikon DR-5 right angle viewfinder rotating  (Read 1311 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Nikon DR-5 right angle viewfinder rotating
« on: June 03, 2020, 13:44:03 »
I use the Nikon DR-5 right angle viewfinder when photographing close to the ground. In principle, it has clicks to enable it to stay upright or at other angles with 90 degrees steps. However, in practice I have no use of the clicks, since the viewfinder just rotates. I just had it tightened by Nikon Service, but that does not seem to help.

Does anyone has a remedy to this?

For my old D200, I have the DR-6 which is the same, just with a square clip-mount. Since the square mount keeps it from rotating, it works fine in this case.

Kim
Kim

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon DR-5 right angle viewfinder rotating
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 18:25:32 »
Kim, I made this to show how the DR-5 works on my D800 cameras. Hope this helps...
ADDED(Thanks to Carl): 'Clockwise' = As seen from the viewfinder side of the camera.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 20:13:13 »
Many thanks for the instructions, Pluton. I will make sure that I do not rotate it anti-clockwise!
Kim

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 20:42:11 »
A stupid question, but I want to avoid any misinterpretations.  Keith's image was necessarily shown from the front of the body, but, can I assume that turning clockwise is done while viewing the body from the rear? 
Carl

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 22:34:25 »
A stupid question, but I want to avoid any misinterpretations.  Keith's image was necessarily shown from the front of the body, but, can I assume that turning clockwise is done while viewing the body from the rear?
Yes, yes!  Thanks for the clarification.  Clockwise as seen from the operator position on the eyepiece side of the camera.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA