Author Topic: Storing Lens Adapters.  (Read 1119 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Storing Lens Adapters.
« on: May 31, 2020, 17:03:54 »
Sorry for the iPhone snapshot, but there are flowers here in Michigan that are actually blooming outside, and I want to get out there.

Here is an idea I found that was a handy way of storing my flat lens adapters that might prove useful to others. I had a lot of CD sleeves laying around and I have always had too many fits trying to find the adapter-of-the-moment I need.

Instead of scores of little fidgety boxes to craw through, I just through them all away (I never sell adapters anyway), and just put the adapters into these CD sleeves instead, arranging them in order. I have two boxes, one for Step-Up rings and another for Step-Down rings.

Not too beautiful, but no one ever comes into my little studio except my wife asking me to vacuum it, etc.

It has already proved very useful, because I am always rigging up one stack of adapters or another.

Just my two cents.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Storing Lens Adapters.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 21:13:42 »
So highly efficient and well organised!!

My workspaces and equipment are kept in considerable chaos — although I do know under which heap something will be hiding.
However, I am in the fortunate position of not having anyone trying to make me tidy things up or vacuum-clean around them.

8)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 22:51:58 »
Someone is really well organised ... I can only do that with computers apparently.

Using CD cover sleeves was a good idea, though. I might look into that myself.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:48 »
Someone is really well organised ... I can only do that with computers apparently.

Using CD cover sleeves was a good idea, though. I might look into that myself.

I just got tired of spending 15 minutes looking for the right sized adapter (and some have no markings!) and the momentary panic that I might not have any of the right size. I had a great amount of these sleeves around. As founder of the All-Music Guide, what used to be my personal CD collection of music is now part of the permanent collection of  Michigan State University, some 720,000 CDs. That's about 90 years of listening. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:48:45 »
Nicely done! I have plastic storage boxes, too and ziploc bags for them. But by far not as well organized.
formerly known as kds315

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 20:33:03 »
This is a darn good idea! I'm gonna do the same.
I have several boxes of adaptors, sorted them in silly annoying ziplock bags recently and discovered that some adaptors, I own more than 5 copies of.
Rationale is obvious, I thought I didn't have one or I thought I lost it.

I also find it helpful to have an excel file of the sort to keep track of all these rings and dings and whatnot.

Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope