Author Topic: New 35mm sensor body  (Read 4507 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
New 35mm sensor body
« on: May 18, 2020, 10:27:00 »
Currently I have only the Z6. I complement it with the d500 when needed. The rest are either IR modified or older models, all Dx  sensors. I have the following options:

D3S (John!  ;D) With 160K shutter count, 3 batteries        650€
   D4S, Tried it , good condition, 260K shutter count             1350€
   Z6, new, current prices with FTZ                            aprox  1700€

D3S will get less use and batteries are not compatible with D500, but with other older bodies. Will use it mainly as a back up and rehearsals. Cheaper
     D4S, also as a backup-rehearsals but with much better video, speed, etc...you know. Have never use one for a long time. IQ?
     Z6, will make for two identical bodies,capabilities,  batteries, cards, accessories, etc...

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: New 35mm sensor body
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:38:54 »
Personally I would suggest the D3s.

I think it's better to save for a Z7 (they are complementary) instead of another Z6. Image quality is also higher with the Z7. 

If you want to use video, the Z6 is very suitable for it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:00:21 »
D3s and D4s are PJ style DSLR cameras, fast AF with the fast 2.8 AFS lenses like 24-70 70-200, 200 and 300mm etc
Not really geared for Video captures at all,,, as you can only use the rear display and Video AF is almost non existing on these DSLR,,,
Z6 is much more tuned for Video application as you can use the build in finder.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 13:03:54 »
Are you desperately in need of wider FOV that D500 fails to offer?

Do you most often need to switch lenses or switch between stills and videos so quickly that you want two bodies?

Unless you can answer yes to both of these questions, none of the three options would be worth concerning, no matter how attractive each would appear.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 13:48:23 »
Thank you for yoyr input

Are you desperately in need of wider FOV that D500 fails to offer?

Do you most often need to switch lenses or switch between stills and videos so quickly that you want two bodies?

Unless you can answer yes to both of these questions, none of the three options would be worth concerning, no matter how attractive each would appear.

Interesting .
  No, I don't need wider fov. Actually it helps a few times the crop image to put more pixel on the subject. I'll keep the d500 for that reason. It falls short in the iso department comoared to the others and I already work in what is my limit with the Z6.
    Yes, I need 2 bodies often. It has normally being two dx, then dx-fx, now I'm looking for two fx sensors with if not equal, similuar high iso. Usually 24-70 and 70-200 for shows. Sometimes only one zoom (whatever fits better) and a prme for better light gathering.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 14:12:08 »
   Interesting .
  No, I don't need wider fov. Actually it helps a few times the crop image to put more pixel on the subject. I'll keep the d500 for that reason. It falls short in the iso department comoared to the others and I already work in what is my limit with the Z6.
    Yes, I need 2 bodies often. It has normally being two dx, then dx-fx, now I'm looking for two fx sensors with if not equal, similuar high iso. Usually 24-70 and 70-200 for shows. Sometimes only one zoom (whatever fits better) and a prme for better light gathering.

Paco, if you need two bodies to shoot shows, the quiet Z6 should then be the only option.  D-1-digit models are the loudest.  Also, considering the low-light performance both  in terms of noise and AF, Z6 would be superior to Z7.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 14:35:28 »
Paco, have both the D500 and the Z6, and a fairly good guess of what you are doing, I will say got for an extra Z6. You know the ergonomics, the batteries are the same as you already use. Video on the Z series are much better that on any Nikon DSLR (D500 included).
Video should be better on Z6 than Z7, for what I have read.
As you have one set with the FTZ, so maybe you just need the body.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 16:05:42 »
Actually I would recommend getting the Z6 with its own FTZ. Makes everyday usage of the cameras easier.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 16:13:39 »
To my eyes it all depends upon the resolution you want, f more then the Z7 is the answer, whereas all round ability would suggest another Z6. Which will give you much commonality between camera bodies!

Something else to take into account is possible firmware updates which will undoubtedly further improve the Z cameras!
I’m with Birna on this one!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 22:16:27 »
It makes sense a second Z6. Thank you all. I'll still keep de D500. Silent, low light, video if needed, duplicate everything....my only "but" with the Zs is the slight shutter delay. Timing is very important for me. Maybe global shutter will be in my wish list, and a vertical grip :) For everithing else is excellent.
  It will come with a FTZ. Most of my lenses are f mount and all tbe manual ones are a pleasure to use.

Thank you all

P. D. If I ever have extra money I may still get a one digit body just out of love  ;D

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 00:32:10 »
Z6 clearly.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 00:39:00 »
you need silent shutter
what many would wish for is a D500 style 24*36 sensor camera.
it would be fast no-lag and D850/Z7 resolution but still high ISO and high fps. But. There is no such camera yet
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 00:44:11 »
For my work D500+D850+Z6 is perfect
The D850 adds unmatched color fidelity at base ISO and general usefulness for general everything

You can compensate the Z6 shutter delay by keeping both eyes open while shooting and anticipating. 12fps will compensate for your anticipation errors in the training phase

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 00:51:48 »
I cannot tell you anything about the D4-series.

But it is 16MP

The D500 runs circles around the D3-series in every single respect. It outperforms the D850 in many respects.

you need silent shutter.

The D4 manages to be even louder than the D3

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 00:34:41 »
Paco, I once shot a wedding with a D4 and a D3S, every time I took a shot 50% of the people attending the wedding looked at me in extreme disapproval as the cameras are so freaking loud. Yes the shots were really good, but for quiet intimate moments they are very distracting. This was 7 or 8 years ago so quiet options were limited or didn't perform to that level, but now you have many options that would give you great flexibility, amazing IQ and also quiet mode. I suggest another Z6. Same menus, same ergonomics, easy to switch from one to the other.