Author Topic: Nikon announces "extraordinary losses"  (Read 2304 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon announces "extraordinary losses"
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:41:02 »
Hey all,

I am sure you have heard about Nikon's announcement. For those who have not, you can read the article here:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0929264065/nikon-says-it-s-expecting-extraordinary-losses-has-updated-its-fy2020-projections

What do you guys think about post-covid Nikon's future?

Cheers,
Zang

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon announces "extraordinary losses"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:08:46 »
On Tuesday 12th, Nikon writer Thom Hogan (bythom.com) wrote about this and noted that Nikon is still expecting to report a profit this year.  I am not worried about Nikon's medium to long-term future. It is a part of the Mitsubishi zaibatsu, which includes the biggest bank in Japan.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:30 »
They still make a profit for the year. Because their financial year ends on March 31st, they are the first to report annual figures.

Expectation is that many many other companies will follow with extremely bad results as a consequence of the unseen collapsing demand.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:25:42 »
On Tuesday 12th, Nikon writer Thom Hogan (bythom.com) wrote about this and noted that Nikon is still expecting to report a profit this year.  I am not worried about Nikon's medium to long-term future. It is a part of the Mitsubishi zaibatsu, which includes the biggest bank in Japan.

I would rather refer to keiretsu (系列. Nearly all zaibatsu were dissolved in 1945. But one could argue that there is no real difference.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 12:16:16 »
"Extraordinary loss" just refer to the nature of the loss (i.e. unusual, one-time event, which in this case is the covid-19 pandemic), not its magnitude. I would expect all the camera manufacturers to be similarly affected. Camera business is among the more affected fields since
* people often use cameras when traveling, and in the current situation most people cannot travel, at least not long distances
* many people have been laid off in various fields, leading to income loss and cameras are non-essential purchases
* for professionals, there are basically no "events" now, no sports, etc. and people may be afraid to go to a service provider for portraits because of possible infection (however small the risk); those in strict lockdown may not even be allowed to go

So, the demand for camera equipment is down in the current situation, and it could last a few years. People save their money rather than spend it, because it could get worse before it gets better.

Since the crisis affects many areas of business, governments are likely to step in and provide significant financial assistance to the affected companies.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 15:34:20 »

I was just curious, but not worried at all. I only afford having their 10 year old equipment so even If they went bankrupted today, I'd be still good for 10 more years to come ;)

I do love Nikon smartness and quality. It would be pity, if they sell the brand to some junk maker, but I doubt.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:32 »
Nikon product is so good I hardly guess they will ever lose their followers. D6 is just a tad better than D5, they can really only make money on lenses. Not only me, many are ready to support Nikon. They are destined to survive
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 04:19:36 »
I would rather refer to keiretsu (系列. Nearly all zaibatsu were dissolved in 1945. But one could argue that there is no real difference.

Thanks for that correction.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:50:51 »
Oh no, I accidentally somehow deleted my previous message. That wasn't my intention. Anyway, in my opinion the D6 AF system is likely to be a significant improvement, with greater customizability and with moderately fast lenses, the cross-type AF sensors cover a larger part of the frame, and there are fewer significant gaps in the sensor array, which should make it easier to work with subjects that change position in the frame, or if one wants to position them in a certain place.

I took a look at the D6 manual and unfortunately with f/5.6 lenses, the area of cross-type coverage has not increased (35 cross-type points, all user selectable, covering approximately the same central area as the D5's 45 points, of which 15 are user selectable on Multi-CAM 20k bodies). But with all my other AF-S lenses, all 105 points are cross type, so full capability is available in that sense.

Dynamic area modes available include 9, 25, 49 and 105 points, single point can be normal or wide, two custom group area settings  (C1 and C2) which can be programmed to user's choices of group patterns. The patterns can be modified by pressing and holding AF area selector and multi-selector arrow keys.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 19:14:59 »
I also see the D6 as a significant advance (compared to D5 or D4S), mainly because of the AF system that will hopefully fulfil what it promises. It is not the camera filled with all feature, all ofthe newest technology and on top of all of the usual "benchmarks".

Despite some initial doubts it will be my next camera and take the role of my current D4s - and a support for Nikon which will hopefully overcome the current and upcoming extraordinary situation
Wolfgang Rehm