Author Topic: New camera for a child  (Read 1949 times)

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
New camera for a child
« on: May 15, 2020, 14:41:23 »
Hi,
I've been looking through specs of many many Nikon cameras in order to find the "optimal" new camera for my daughter. She first had a D40 when she was three, then we upgraded to D5200 two years ago and she loves the flippy screen. She's soon 11 and has learned enough see the value in two control wheels (shutter/aperture).

Is Nikon D7500 the smallest/lightest Nikon DSLR with a flippy screen and two control wheels, or have I missed something vital?

From here

_P7F5113_200612 by foppa2011, on Flickr

to here in 8 short years ...

20200503-DSC_2959b by foppa2011, on Flickr

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: New camera for a child
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 14:45:08 »
That is a great idea! and very sweet  ;D
Erik Lund

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 14:48:54 »
Z50 ?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 15:45:16 »
Z50 +1

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 18:13:51 »
I personally love the D7500.  It does have a flippy screen, but not same kind as D5xx.  I personally like the D7500/D750 type screen better.  It has all the knobs, dials, buttons and is logical next step up in learning curve from D5xxx in my opinion.  Plus she can use all her existing lenses easily enough. 

I've progressed since 2009 from D40 to D5100 to D7100 to D7500.   The D7500 is a great camera.  (I also have a D750, which pairs nicely in regards to usage/ergonomics, etc.). 

There are other features she might like, the group area AF in particular is nice for moving subjects, and the AF in general is big upgrade from D5xxx.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 23:54:19 »
Peter, you would need to make sure how she has been using the fully articulating screen, and if the tilting screen can replace it.

If the tilting screen is functional enough for her, I would add one more vote for Z50.

If the fully articulating screen is essential to her shooting style, you would need to look for other systems like Panasonic, Olympus or Canon if you need to upgrade her camera from the D5200.

The image quality of the current m4/3 system should easily be superior to that of D5200, so there should be of no concern about going for the smaller format.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 10:15:16 »
Thank you everybody. I already guessed this would not be straightforward and easy, hence my question. I will read about the other options too, but currently only D7500 is on the short list.

I have a Sony A7R II and she has shot with it, but she dislikes the EVF. I'm sure current Nikons have better, but won't be trying to force feed it to her. Unfortunately the last Pro Nikon gear shop closed doors in my town about a year ago... will be a while before we can have a look at a Z50.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 15:44:21 »
Peter, been there but with my son starting with a 2MP digital Kodak when he was also three.    He has had many cameras and also has used all of mine.
Your daughter is coming up to her teens and much changes (at least here) .  Is she into Social Media?    Immediacy and sharing is the current thing with teens (and older) .   My son still uses the a7rii , D500 and Z6 but not often.   Of all the cameras I've owned the Olympus EM1 (and Pen F) was the best for immediately sharing images otherwise the Smartphones rule.  Neither my Nikons nor Sonys come close for easy of sharing.   My son is a very good photographer and it is disheartening that he now really does not use his skills but things change.   I sort of expect he will start using the gear in a few more years (he is now 19) .  Having been in hard lock down since 22 March , I am not as interested in shooting as I normally have been.  Since I shoot action and people, not many opportunities.
She needs to be very involved with the next phase but even then she may change.
All the best
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 18:14:25 »
Thank you everybody. I already guessed this would not be straightforward and easy, hence my question. I will read about the other options too, but currently only D7500 is on the short list.

I have a Sony A7R II and she has shot with it, but she dislikes the EVF. I'm sure current Nikons have better, but won't be trying to force feed it to her. Unfortunately the last Pro Nikon gear shop closed doors in my town about a year ago... will be a while before we can have a look at a Z50.

My guess is she'll love the viewfinder in the D7500.  It's much larger and brighter than the D5200, an entirely different experience in my opinion.  And the additional features will be fun for her to explore and learn.

Fun stuff!

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 13:48:57 »
Thanks OCD. I think we're probably getting the D7500.  The screen isn't quite as versatile as D5xxx but otherwise the controls are more much better. Unfortunately the D7500 weighs a lot more than D5xxx but she can keep on using her current very lightweight lenses.

When I started to compare the weights of the cameras I realized that the lightest FX body is Df, even lighter than D610 and almost the same weight as D7500. But the screen, video and the need for larger FX lenses killed that idea. Df is too "grandpa" model for her, despite being very small and light.  ;D

It is good to have many options and at very low cost in the used market. We'll find something nice I'm sure.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:17:18 »
smartphone for video.
my vote goes to Df.
grandpas make best images!
manual focus lenses.
even the old tele-lenses handle nicely, like the 300/4.5.
learning photography whilst turning dials around, what could be better than that?
not to mention the IQ and the pristine viewfinder.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 17:35:50 »
Thanks Jakov.