Author Topic: PC-Nikkor 28mm f/4 Shift and Tilt Modification  (Read 5582 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
PC-Nikkor 28mm f/4 Shift and Tilt Modification
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:14:11 »
Here are the pics of my PC-Nikkor 28mm f/4 Shift and Tilt ModificationThe lens is natively a Shift lens here I add a section that makes the lens Tilt as well.
I get questions about this modification quite often and I can't seem to find the original post anywhere except on DPR so here is a look back to 2011  :o
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: PC-Nikkor 28mm f/4 Shift and Tilt Modification
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:15:20 »
And here the individual modified parts from both sides
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 10:22:42 »
The lens was also chipped with a custom CPU from Birna  ;D at a later point when it worked.Now owned by another NikonGear member

So the question is, did it maintain rotation and the indexing,,,?
Difficult to remember 9 years later  ::) But as far as I recall it did, that is why I put an "Index mark" directly on the F-Mount
Otherwise it was difficult to quickly see what was up or down on the mount since there is no aperture lever and it was not yet chipped when the modification was first made!
PS the lens is a bit difficult to mount for the same reason,,,
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:45:52 »
And here rotated one index I believe,,,You can see I added a new slimmer (modified) F-mount to the adapter mount it looks like,,,
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:12:17 »
Here is the original design sketch with completion date 01.08.2011Shit Tilt and Rotoation
Most important; This modification can't de done on the f/3.5 version, the rear part of that lens is totally different!
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 13:47:39 »
Impressive.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 14:00:17 »
Impressive.
+1
You indeed earned the Doctor Lens name.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 14:22:13 »
pardon my ignorance but what was done? :o :o :o
i am clueless  :'(

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 16:24:01 »
The lens is natively a Shift lens here I add a section that makes the lens Tilt as well. :o :o :o
You turn the ring marked 012345678 to the desired degree of Tilt  8)

Erik Lund

kirillr

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 20:40:00 »
Dear friends!

I would like to share the information about second successfull attempt of rebuilding PC Nikkor 28mm f/4 into tilt-shift lens. The work was made not by myself but by experienced engineer of  precision mechanics and optics and great technician Alexander from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. Long ago he worked as a managing engineer at USSR optical and mechanical  Arsenal Factory in Kiev. This factory produced a lot of USSR photo gear many of which were clones of  pre-WW2 Zeiss models using equipment and parts from Carl Zeiss Jena factory. Also there produced some cameras based on Nikon  and Hasselblad - copied technologies using same bayonets - Kiyev and Salut cameras. Before the work begun i asked Erik (many thanks to him! ) to share some information of his project to send to Alexander for example. We used the same tilt adapter which i found and bought on EBay using Erik's photos from this thread. It' very funny that the producer of this tilt adapter is ukrainean company which is part or belongs to described before  Arcenal factory from Kiev. An the afapter was sent to me from Kiev :-)  The master Alexander who did the work of conversion  was delighted with this fact that some parts were from the factory where he works for many years long ago. Erik suggested to do some photos of second attempt of conversion and i asked  Alexander to do that. But he likes video more than static pictures. So he filmed a move and placed it to Youtube. But... Thats a pity for many of us- the movie is in RUSSIAN and there is no translation. So only who knows russian can understand the soundtrack with Alexander's comments.

What it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_gCYH1r54&feature=

PS
I would like to thank again Erik for his advises and Alexanser for his great work.

https://youtu.be/yr_gCYH1r54

kirillr

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 20:58:59 »
Also i would like share a link to photos made by modifiend lens. Photos done by Alexander when he tested his work. For some comparison photos for that test he used Leitz Elmarit-R modified by him to Nikon F bayonet.
The page is also in russian :-(

https://nesovet.livejournal.com/606288.html?utm_source=vksharing&utm_medium=social

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 10:58:45 »
You are most welcome!
Congratulations, happy to see he was successful with the modification!
Interesting he gives such a long verbal explanation about all of the technical details, I recall having to solve all of these design restrictions/modifications for it to work  :o
Thank you for sharing
Erik Lund

kirillr

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 11:22:13 »
Eric,

Alexander has a small own business related to photo repair and rebuilding. He likes to record movies describing his work and uploads them to Youtube. And also he has a blog on Livejournal platform. https://nesovet.livejournal.com/
The name of his account 'NESOVET' can be translated into english "do not advise" ;-)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 11:55:41 »
Thanks ;) In this video at the end, one can see the adapter that we used quite clearly.

https://youtu.be/u5DsXkEksJo
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 12:01:27 »
How much did the modification cost?
Erik Lund