Author Topic: Nikkor-N 35mm f/1.4 Auto!!!  (Read 2038 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-N 35mm f/1.4 Auto!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 21:46:10 »
The real reason for hunting-down this lens is the 9-sided iris. Later versions only have 6-sided ones so you should be diligent enough when shopping for one.

Small correction: later versions have 7-sided iris, which is not as nice as the 9-sided iris but certainly better than 6.

The 9-sided iris is found on the first batch marked "Nikkor-N Nippon Kogaku Japan" and the second batch "Nikkor-N Nikon", but changed to 7 with the third batch engraved "Nikkor-N.C Nikon". Note the ".C" of the third batch does not mean this version has better coatings, it is simply an acknowledgement of multi-coating which was present in the earlier versions.

The 7-sided iris continued through the K (New Nikkor) and AI versions, but reverted to 9 with the AI-S version.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 05:40:02 »
Small correction: later versions have 7-sided iris, which is not as nice as the 9-sided iris but certainly better than 6.

The 9-sided iris is found on the first batch marked "Nikkor-N Nippon Kogaku Japan" and the second batch "Nikkor-N Nikon", but changed to 7 with the third batch engraved "Nikkor-N.C Nikon". Note the ".C" of the third batch does not mean this version has better coatings, it is simply an acknowledgement of multi-coating which was present in the earlier versions.

The 7-sided iris continued through the K (New Nikkor) and AI versions, but reverted to 9 with the AI-S version.

Thanks, Roland! I updated that just now :o :o :o

had too many Asahi super dries ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:36:23 »
Thanks Rick et al!
Very nice as always with all the little details.
A lovely lens, with loads of artistic possibilities, flare, ablations, field curvature; Lovely ;)  8)
I have used it a lot for travel and general fun shooting!

I really am not very fond of the internals of this lens, it´s royal pain to chip with a CPU since the rear CRC group rotates and has to be grinded down as to not interfere with the contact block and the CPU board  :o :o :o

Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 14:50:02 »
Thanks Rick et al!
Very nice as always with all the little details.
A lovely lens, with loads of artistic possibilities, flare, ablations, field curvature; Lovely ;)  8)
I have used it a lot for travel and general fun shooting!

I really am not very fond of the internals of this lens, it´s royal pain to chip with a CPU since the rear CRC group rotates and has to be grinded down as to not interfere with the contact block and the CPU board  :o :o :o

i am going to do an experiment with removing the amber cast :o :o :o

lets see if that works.

FieldenPhoto

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Fielden Photo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 21:49:48 »
I have tried everything with mine! The amber cast is something I have decided to deal with...unless you found a technique that worked? I love your youtube Richard!

Jay

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 23:11:29 »
What a beast!
Thank you Richard