Author Topic: Nikkor filters history  (Read 4178 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikkor filters history
« on: May 02, 2020, 14:35:53 »
This is a bit in the "nerd area".
I have three old Nikon filters which are "Nikkor" branded. They are all brass filters. But I have also old brass filters which is just "Nikon" branded as they normal are.
Has it something do to with how old the filters are so Nikkor branded before 19XX ?

I have attached an image that shows how it looks.

The 3. filter I have is an unthreaded filter and I don't know where it was used. It is written "SERIES IX" on the filter. I got it for free many years ago as it was "chipped". It could be interesting to know where such a filter was used. It is quite large in diameter (maybe 77mm or so). 

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikkor filters history
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 19:09:36 »
The old brass-ringed Nikon filters are heavy and luxurious.  I've got a few, but don't use them much now.
Read here a description of the old "series" filter size system.https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Series_filters
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 19:28:24 »
I see….so an attempt to make a standard for filters. Now we have one with a few mm in increments :-)

And yes, the old brass filters are heavy and has a nice feel.
Most of them are "Nikon" branded while a few I have are "Nikkor" branded. I wonder if this is pure "time related" so "Nikkor" branded are the oldest of them?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:34:05 »
The chrome-rim filters are quite old, from the early 1960s. I'm not sure at what point Nikon switched to black-rim filters, I'm guessing mid-1960s. The chrome filters look great on the old Nikkors such as yours, wouldn't mind finding one or two more for my old lenses :)

Branding of lenses changed from "Nikkor" to "Nikon" around 1971, so the filters probably changed at the same time.

The Series IX filters are as shown in Keith's link above. They were made for the early 85-250/4-4.5 and 200-600/9.5 zooms which accept 82mm filters. The concept behind them was that you can have one filter ring/adapter, and multiple filters (UV, yellow, red etc) which you can swap in and out.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 02:43:25 »
The chrome-rim filters are quite old, from the early 1960s. I'm not sure at what point Nikon switched to black-rim filters, I'm guessing mid-1960s. The chrome filters look great on the old Nikkors such as yours, wouldn't mind finding one or two more for my old lenses :)

Branding of lenses changed from "Nikkor" to "Nikon" around 1971, so the filters probably changed at the same time.

The Series IX filters are as shown in Keith's link above. They were made for the early 85-250/4-4.5 and 200-600/9.5 zooms which accept 82mm filters. The concept behind them was that you can have one filter ring/adapter, and multiple filters (UV, yellow, red etc) which you can swap in and out.

The font used on "Nikon" filters are of the older style, so it is safe to assume that "Nikon" filters are older than "NIKKOR" filters.  My wiled guess is that the filter with the silver "NIKKOR" ring is made in a transitional period and thus are rare.

If I remember correctly, Nikkor 18/4.0 also uses a Series (IX?) filter.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:36:45 »
Richard de Stoutz has a collection of Nikon/Nikkor filters with approximate dates: https://www.destoutz.ch/accessories_lens_filters.html

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 17:39:33 »
Nahhh. You need more efficient and practical filters fitting different lenses.

As matter of fact the only glass filter I have for Nikon is the drawer pola filter for the 200/2 VII.

However, I have two shoe boxes of the Kodak Wratten filters brand new and another box of used ones.

Just gathering dust and nostalgia.....

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 21:22:34 »
Richard de Stoutz has a collection of Nikon/Nikkor filters with approximate dates: https://www.destoutz.ch/accessories_lens_filters.html

A very fine collection of filters. First time I see a "Nippon Kogaku" branded filter.
I like the feel of the old brass filters better than the modern aluminium filters. Also the vintage black filters was brass.
I have a vintage 52mm polar and no. 1 and 2 close up lens. All three are in "Nippon Kogaku" branded brown leather cases with velour inside to protect the filters.
I assume these leather cases was additional accessories and not standard cases included when a new filter was purchased?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 21:25:42 »
Nahhh. You need more efficient and practical filters fitting different lenses.

As matter of fact the only glass filter I have for Nikon is the drawer pola filter for the 200/2 VII.

However, I have two shoe boxes of the Kodak Wratten filters brand new and another box of used ones.

Just gathering dust and nostalgia.....

I would assume that a 100% flat coated glass filter of "Nikon quality" is a optical better solution than these "foil" filters?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 22:38:28 »
The old rangefinder lenses used "Series" filters, at least for the long focal lengths 25cm and up.

The early zoom lenses such as the 200-600/9.5-10.5 & the later f/9.5 model also used Series filters.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 00:35:00 »
I have a rangefinder Nikkor-P 10.5cm 1:2.5 with a filter ring which I assume is for holding Series filters. I guess it accepts Series VII which are 2" (50.8mm) in diameter, that is the closest fit for the 52mm filter thread.

I also have a rangefinder Nikkor-Q 13.5cm lens which has a chrome Nikon screw-in filter. The filter thread is 40.5mm, it looks like a scaled down 52mm filter, with a tiny rim and engravings, it is beautifully made.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 19:14:51 »
One thing I've always wondered is why Nikon did not make more filters compatible with the HN-12 hood.  The original 52 mm. polarizer had an oddball thread, something like 60 mm., on the outside, and that elegant two part hood fit nothing else.  I would have thought they might have made some other filters that would use the same  hood, but I see no sign that they ever did.  Nor have I ever seen an adapter that would allow the hood to be put on anything else.

The Nikon polarizer filter also has stops so it doesn't keep rotating, so it doesn't need an exposed stationary part to hold on to when putting on or taking off.   

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 19:18:49 »
The AF-1 filter holder (the one that could flip down) used the HN-12.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 21:11:14 »
The silver version of the Nikkor P 45mm f/2.8 Ai-S  came with a silver Nikon filter: "Nikon NC 52mm"

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 22:21:31 »
The AF-1 filter holder (the one that could flip down) used the HN-12.
Interesting.  Looking on the web I see the thing, but none of my references mentions its existence, and I've never seen one.  But I'm glad they found something else to do with that nice hood.