Author Topic: A crazy idea  (Read 5007 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: A crazy idea
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 19:07:14 »
Zang, there was a guy that used to post a lot on the old NG site who had equipped his D40X with an M42 mount. 

IIRC, he was into UV and IR work and used older lenses with simple coatings that allowed UV transmission.  I think that he was also into fishing as well as photography.  I will keep searching for his ID and images of the converted camera.

Anyone else remember him?

EDIT:  This is the guy: https://www.flyfishinginnh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8161&page=2

Hey Hugh,

Thank you for sharing. I had a look and it does not seem the guy shared the technical details of the conversion.

Thanks,
Zang

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 19:10:07 »
There was a conversion kit that turned a Nikon SLR to an M42 mount camera, which is essentially an M42 mount made to fit a Nikon body with the F-mount removed.   Unfortunately, the kit was short-lived and has long been discontinued...

Thanks Akira,

It is good to hear I am not alone with this crazy idea :)

Thanks,
Zang

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 19:19:27 »
Zang, where in the world are you located?  I think somewhere in my barn I have one or more dead Yashicas, and could perhaps dig one up and slip a mount into an envelope and mail it.  This probably would not work very reliably outside the US and maybe Europe, but one could try.

Hey Matt,

Thank you for being so kind to offer me the give-away! I am located in Toronto Ontario. I would love to get the mount  and I can IM you my address.

However, please do not send me if you find any use for the camera. I do hang a non working Canon over my desk right now for instance :)

Thanks again for your kindness,
Zang

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 03:52:13 »
Here is a link:  https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/264-reed-curry-bio/page__hl__%2Bd40+%2Bm42__fromsearch__1

I have seen an image somewhere of the converted camera - just cannot find it for you as yet.  Old age and senility is my excuse for my failure to find it!  ;D

Hey Hugh,

Thank you for sharing. I had a look and it does not seem the guy shared the technical details of the conversion.

Thanks,
Zang
Hugh Gunn

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 15:43:50 »
Here is a link:  https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/264-reed-curry-bio/page__hl__%2Bd40+%2Bm42__fromsearch__1

I have seen an image somewhere of the converted camera - just cannot find it for you as yet.  Old age and senility is my excuse for my failure to find it!  ;D

Thanks Hugh!

Cheers,
Zang

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 00:36:59 »
Hey Matt,

Thank you for being so kind to offer me the give-away! I am located in Toronto Ontario. I would love to get the mount  and I can IM you my address.

However, please do not send me if you find any use for the camera. I do hang a non working Canon over my desk right now for instance :)

Zang

Do IM the address, or you can email me directly.  My last name here, at shoreham dot net.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 20:25:23 »
Hey Matt,

Zang

Hey Matt,

I have received the mount! Thank you so much again, Matt!

In the meantime, I decided to buy Sony Nex 6, so my job with the adapter will be much easier as I have more space to work with :) I will send pictures upon the progress.

Cheers,
Zang

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 23:38:54 »
Glad it came OK.  Three cheers for the postal system.

Good luck.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 01:36:54 »
Hey Bill,

How did you like the result from Contax lenses on digital? I have fond memory about them back in the film era. My concern is, despite their wonderful mechanical quality, they may be outdated in term of optical quality nowadays.

Cheers,
Zang

Zang, sorry for my late response.  It's hard to say since I stopped almost immediately because of the mirror clearance issue.  I'll have to see how these lenses work on the Z6, something I've been meaning to find out.

"Obsolete" is a relative term.  While I really like some of the newer lenses now available, some older lenses that might be viewed at technologically obsolete in terms of optical design and coatings can still be very worthwhile.  This will depend on how they're used and what your goal in using them is.  You may not get the absolute highest resolution, highest contrast, and least amount of abberations compared to newer lenses, but you may still very much like the results.  Some of this will come down to personal preference.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 03:50:44 »
Thanks @Bill

I have printed out a tube with E-mount male bayonet. I heat-sink 3 paper clips to replace the tightening springs into the plastic then place the mount from Matt on top. Everything fits nicely and the springs hold the lens pretty well. The only challenge I have now is to find 4 3-millimetre head screws :)

Cheers,
Zang

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 23:54:14 »
I was able to file the screw heads down to 3mm to fit the holes. Everything is ready to go. I also printed out a nice rear cap :)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 23:56:21 »
Also melted in some red marks...

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 00:00:24 »
And a sample picture with 28mm.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 12:27:30 »
Sorry but I seem to have missed this thread  ;) Congratulations on your success with this contraption!
We have a whole board on subjects like this;

• NikonGear  »
  • Gear Talk »
  • What the Nerds Do

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?board=11.0
Erik Lund

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 14:13:27 »
Sorry but I seem to have missed this thread  ;) Congratulations on your success with this contraption!
We have a whole board on subjects like this;

• NikonGear  »
  • Gear Talk »
  • What the Nerds Do

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?board=11.0

Thanks Erik!

Initially, I just wanted to ask a question. I learnt basic Auto Desk just last week. Never thought I would start this project but Matt Currie inspired me by sending me the bayonet (thanks Matt again) :)

Cheers,
Zang