Author Topic: Post Processing Sfwr - What Is Everyone Using and Why?  (Read 8172 times)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Post Processing Sfwr - What Is Everyone Using and Why?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2020, 16:56:40 »
On Capture NX-D, it is pretty slow, as all the Nikon software seems to be, but it does depend on the computer.  On my current cheap Win 10 laptop it's usable.  Slow to load initially but OK once it's going, though both it and the earlier Capture NX-2 are slow to do conversions too.   On my traveling Win 7 "Netbook," which is truly minimal, both are essentially useless - useable in an emergency but best avoided.

I did have one issue with NX-D in windows 10, that one of the updates did not install properly, though it seemed to be working and gave no error messages, and the previous version had gone fine. It would load but nothing would come up when I tried to run it.  It was a permission issue, I think. Although I have set up with as a single user and administrator, Windows 10 does not actually give full admin. status even if you're logged on as a user/administrator.  I solved the problem by creating an actual Administrator account.  When I logged into that, it installed properly. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2020, 18:41:58 »
I rely mainly on Photo Ninja, but do use other conversion software when there is a need for this. Such programs would be Capture NX-D, RawTherapee, Silkypix, Camera Raw, Monochrome2DNG, Aftershot, and even once in a while the dreadful Hyper-Utility (for my Fuji S3/S5). Most of these are more than snappy enough on my work stations.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 17:55:16 »
Am I the only one that fells that Capture NX-D is very close to unusable due to the slow speed?
It is slow on my Mac. Useable, but annoying. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2020, 18:41:02 »
D800, V1 - Capture nx2 or photoshop
x-T3 - capture one, or photoshop

for astrophotography
iridient x transform is needed to convert x-t3 raw files to tif before deep sky stacker
deep sky stacker can ingest nikon raw files for my d800 or v1

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2020, 23:08:24 »
Capture NX-D....is very slow on my iMac, where LR runs reasonable fast.
Am I the only one that fells that Capture NX-D is very close to unusable due to the slow speed?

I don't find NX-D unusably slow. For me it has many usability issues and some parts are noticeably slower than others.

Ironically I got a replacement Win 10 PC recently and treated myself to 16Gb RAM, thinking this would improve performance of sound editing and photo PP.

NX-D performance seems unchanged :(
I abandoned LR some years ago for other reasons, but from time to time use PS Elements for some tasks.
This has a noticeable pause of 5+ seconds after starting, before it responds to mouseclicks.