Author Topic: Nikon 8mm 2.8 fisheye- spare parts  (Read 3767 times)

schmuku

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon 8mm 2.8 fisheye- spare parts
« on: April 16, 2020, 14:34:51 »
Dear Members,

I had the chance to buy a used broken Nikon 8mm 2.8. It has several problems. The biggest is that the rear lens has some damage and it looks like "stone chipping marks" on the lens. I tried to find some information about the part (rear lens group) but it is very hard to find any. The second big Problem is the filter carousel. Some of the filters came lose and are now lose inside the lens. I already found a threat here that dealt with the filter carousel but I would need a repair manual to do the repair. Does anyone know where to find a repair manual (there is one on Ebay but the shipping and customs are very expensive) and the parts list or the name of the rear lens group? Is the rear lens maybe shared with other lenses? The previous owner told me that the marks on the lens are not visible on the photos but at least I would like to try to find a spare part. Any help and tips for this repair are highly appreciated! 

Kind Regards

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon 8mm 2.8 fisheye- spare parts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 15:51:56 »
Any competent camera repair shop can fix the "floating" filter for you. However, having such deep marks in the critical rear element is bad. They will likely show up in pictures when you stop down the lens. I do hope you got it very cheap.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:02 »
The rear element is definitely not shared by any other lens, and I'm sorry to tell you that those marks on the rear element will most definitely appear in images as you stop down.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:37:44 »
Maybe find another 8/2.8 where front element has been damaged and then combine the two?

schmuku

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 13:50:00 »
Thank you for the replys. I got it for cheap so its not a big deal. I´ll wait and test it and than see what i can do. But it still would be nice to have the repair manual to fix the carousel...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 15:11:18 »
I have the repair manual, yes it was expensive.

The rear element is called G10 and at some point in time it was a spare part,,,

Very unlikely there are spare parts for this lens still arround, so yes a donor lens is only option i believe.
Looks like the lens took quite a beating, the rear light baffle is quite strong, looks like it has been crushed by something massive,,,  :o I would expect a lot of other internal damage.

Erik Lund

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 16:24:47 »
Thank you for the replys. I got it for cheap so its not a big deal. I´ll wait and test it and than see what i can do. But it still would be nice to have the repair manual to fix the carousel...

I had a similar issue and talked to the Nikon Service Center here in Germany and they inquired at Nikon Japan, as they told me that there are often still spare parts available even if the product is delisted and inquired for me in Japan. I was lucky and got mine, took a few weeks however until it made it from Japan...
formerly known as kds315

schmuku

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 18:38:11 »
I have the repair manual, yes it was expensive.

The rear element is called G10 and at some point in time it was a spare part,,,

Very unlikely there are spare parts for this lens still arround, so yes a donor lens is only option i believe.
Looks like the lens took quite a beating, the rear light baffle is quite strong, looks like it has been crushed by something massive,,,  :o I would expect a lot of other internal damage.

Thanks for that Information, I asked the Service. The lens was owned by a university so maybe it was used in some experiments, but i don´t know the story behind the marks. I am also looking for donor lenses, but it would be great to safe that beautiful lens without dismantle another one... The focus lis smooth, so fingers crossed that there is no more internal damage.  :-\

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 19:08:33 »
The lens is heavy thus might have been dropped to stony substrate. Certainly looks like the rear part took a direct hit.

Why not contact Nikon Germany and ask if a replacement can be found in Japan? I once got a new front element for a 16mm Fisheye that had cracked in an accident, and apart from having to send the entire lens to Japan for repair and realignment, I had no problem getting the required spare as such.

schmuku

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 19:17:50 »
The lens is heavy thus might have been dropped to stony substrate. Certainly looks like the rear part took a direct hit.

Why not contact Nikon Germany and ask if a replacement can be found in Japan? I once got a new front element for a 16mm Fisheye that had cracked in an accident, and apart from having to send the entire lens to Japan for repair and realignment, I had no problem getting the required spare as such.

I just did that. Fingers crossed that they have positive news for me! :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 21:27:45 »
The screws holding the F-mount show the marks of being forced by the wrong screwdriver and/or technic as well,,,
Good luck!  :)
Erik Lund

schmuku

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 17:58:56 »
I just did that. Fingers crossed that they have positive news for me! :)

Nikon service Germany answered and they do not have any parts. They stated that they get the spares all from the same place and there is none...

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 21:38:13 »
Have you tried the lens stopped down to see how bad it is?
Could the rear lens be grinded/polished?    ….you will loose coating and change the optical formular a bit but maybe it will work but has to be done by an expert that has the equipment (proper grinding/polish tools).

In old days a scratch could be "repaired" by putting black paint into it so it would not cause "artifacts" by reflected light in the scratch. But the damage you have to the lens is not just a scratch.
Repairing of the lens element same way as you would repair a "stone on windscreen" of a car could also be something to try.

The best solution is a donor lens?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 21:56:04 »
The old trick of "paint it black" will only work well on the front element. Not on the rear exit surface.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 01:08:23 »
The cracks go deep into the lens, you cannot polish or grind them out without ruining the lens.

Minor chips and cracks in a car windscreen can be repaired with liquid fillers (resin?). This removes the air from the cracks which cause reflections, they become nearly invisible. I wonder if the same could be used to repair the chipped lens? The optical properties (refractive index, dispersion) of the material filling the crack will be different from the glass so it won't be as good as a replacement lens, but it should be better than nothing. The chips are small relative to the entire surface, I think if done right it could be successful.

It might depend on whether they are clean cracks into the lens (should be easy to repair), or chips from the surface (may be more difficult), it is hard to say from the picture. I wonder what the lens doctors here think of this suggestion, worth a try?