Author Topic: Nikkor-Z 24-70/4: NEW FIRMWARE 1.01  (Read 1156 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Nikkor-Z 24-70/4: NEW FIRMWARE 1.01
« on: April 07, 2020, 19:01:17 »
New firmware has been published on the Nikon Download center for lens Nikkor-Z 24-70/4. (here: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/322.html)

When camera is turned off, the new firmware sets the aperture to an intermediate value (about f/8). Previous version used to park the aperture at smallest opening (f/22)

I applied the update, a short photo description of the process:
Photo 1: camera off, aperture fully closed, before applying the update (zoom @ 24 mm)
Photo 2 (composite of 4): Programming the firmware
Photo 3: camera off, aperture intermediately closed, after applying the update (zoom @ 24 mm)
Photo 4: camera off, aperture intermediately closed, after applying the update (zoom @ 70 mm)

Note that if you remove the lens without turning off the camera, the aperture will stay fully open (@f/4). Another good reason for turning off a camera prior to removing a lens!

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

simsurace

• NG Member
Re: Nikkor-Z 24-70/4: NEW FIRMWARE 1.01
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 19:11:36 »
Thanks! I wonder though: what is this useful for? Why does it make aperture control more reliable?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 19:34:24 »
Maybe opening the lens from f/22 to f/5.6 (the normal aperture for viewing) takes time when the camera wakes up. Thus starting from f/8 instead would imply  lesser lag before the camera is ready?

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 20:04:20 »
I suspect there is more strain on individual aperture blades when aperture is left in the fully closed position for long periods of time (=camera off). An intermediate position could preserve the functioning of the aperture for a longer time.

BTW, I have actually seen blades bending out from a horizontal plane in vintage optics which have extremely small apertures (f/90, F/128) when you try and close the aperture to its smallest (higher number, it's a reciprocal)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.