Author Topic: Leica-R lenses  (Read 1520 times)

Krille

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Leica-R lenses
« on: March 27, 2020, 22:09:26 »
What do you have to say about Leica-R lenses for Nikon Z6/7?
Not priced at Leica M and for sure not at Helios level.
What I seen on Nikongear is that Leica-R are seen as very prone to flare!?
But sharp.
Do you still think its worth while to investigate this path?
I was thinking about 19 or 21mm.
Other options!?
Krister

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Re: Leica-R lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 19:42:54 »
I've owned and adapted a number of Leica R lenses over the years.  Mostly for use on my Pentax K1 full frame 36MP body.     I also used them on my Nikon 810 camera.

The 135mm is the cheapest.  It is a nice lens with Leica colors.  I recommend it as an inexpensive option to start out with.

The 50mm f/2 is very popular, but it was never a favorite of mine.  Poor bokeh wide open, and a bit over-saturated colors for my taste.

The 80mm f/1.4 is legendary and expensive.  Terrific colors and contrast after about f/2.  Wide open it produces severe halos and low contrast (many photographers buy the lens for that use, however I don't care for the effect).

As for the wider Leica/Leitz R lenses, I prefer the wider Contax Carl Zeiss lenses to any of the Leica R wide lenses.  The Contax 28 f/2.8 is outstanding.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 20:11:19 »
Do you know if the Leica R 180/3.4 is still considered a good lens after todays standard?
When it was released many years ago it was quite "hyped".

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:32 »
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8550.msg141152#msg141152
I remember Birna bought one in CPH i believe, we tested it and we where not impressed,,,
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:21 »
Ok.....I also think I will save my money for the Z-system and maybe better to get a 50/1.8S or 35/1.8S for the Z-body even that I have not a Z-body yet. It seems there are a lot of optical quality in Z-lenses. Also I have both the old Nikkor 180/2.8 manual version of also the old AFD version. That should be sufficient. After all they are good lenses and has nice bokeh.

Krille

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 17:03:43 »
Thanks all for your input. R-lenses are both quite expensive and perhaps not that great after all!
I will persue other ways forward which will include my existing Nikon lenses.
Thanks

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 20:58:39 »
Thanks all for your input. R-lenses are both quite expensive and perhaps not that great after all!
I will persue other ways forward which will include my existing Nikon lenses.
Thanks

As usual. you should take statements as personal opinions and not necessarily as factual.

All lenses brands have superior quality lenses among a sea of ordinary lenses.

In the Leica R case, there are specifically superior quality lenses.

The Apo Telyt 180 f3.4 is a lens developed specifically for the US Navy with a sharp focus at infinity. Testing the lens for any other purpose denotes a lack of understanding and a futile exercise. You have also to bear in mind that the Leica R lenses are now considered vintage lenses and when making a purchase, one has to test the lens if possible or at least ascertain that the lens glass is clean and the mechanism is in proper working order.

And of course the top Leica R lenses are worth a lot of money and worth every cent.

Good luck in your quest.

Krille

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 13:54:36 »
Thanks for your input!
I will for sure do my own evaluation